Which dive magazine should i pick up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing about these magazines is that eventhough they provide lots of useful information, they tend to hide the shortcomings of the gears they review, so don't see their words as absolute truth, especially when it comes to gear.

Fathoms is great as well, particularly if you are a photographer (I'm not).
Rodale's is a throw-away (packed with advertisements and useless trip advertainment), but has a "Lessons Learned" section that I like.
CA Diving news ... more of a newsletter ... is always worth a read.

Rodales is not Rodales any more. Changed ownership. Now just "Scuba Diving."

I took "Scuba Diving," Padi's "Sport Diver," and no longer available "Skin Diver" first few years, but "Dive Training" is the only one I'll renew this year.

Divers Alert Network's (DAN) magazine is a must read for me. Even I got my dive insurance elsewhere, I'd have a DAN membership and the subscription. :snorkel:

If I could choose only one, I'd pick the DAN magazine.

That being said, I subscribe to most of them out there.

Does your area have a local free one?
Here in CA the dive shops give out California Diving as a perk.
I don't think I'd trust any reviews from a dive mag, but some local reports,news,tips and list of local companies are cool.

mech:
Does your area have a local free one?
Here in CA the dive shops give out California Diving as a perk.
I don't think I'd trust any reviews from a dive mag, but some local reports,news,tips and list of local companies are cool.

Most shops offer Dive Training free. Ask you local shop.

DementialFaith:
One thing about these magazines is that eventhough they provide lots of useful information, they tend to hide the shortcomings of the gears they review, so don't see their words as absolute truth, especially when it comes to gear.

Actually, Fathoms does not do any gear reviews. Just great interviews with people, some great portfolio sections, and interesting trip reports from cool places.

As for Shark Diver magazine, i am actually a contributor for that one. Great magazine! So i guess i'm biased if i promote that?! :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom