Lobster Snare Ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bristolxyz

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried a ton of different lobster snares, but have yet to find one that is good. I've tried the automatic trigger activated, extra long, extra short, wired, nylon, etc.
My question is .. has anyone had any luck with a lighted one? Seems that I have lost more lobsters that I can remember because I could nto see the other one or two after stirring up the dirt fighting the first one. Anyone tried a bright light mounted on the snare or stick?

Warm regards,

bristolxzy

Dont use a bright light, lights just seem to make them back in the hole more. I have a tickle stick but often just use my hands

California

I would be off to jail if i was to use anything but my gloved hand. No gaffs or traps allowed in California.

It doesnt matter if its 12 midnight, i have been searched by fish and game on a few occasions. They check your fishing liscene, your lobster guage and even searched my car for gaffs and / or undersized tails. They dont mess around in So Cal.

Andy

I've been on a few lobster dives and thought, "If I only had a......I could get it." The blanks could be filled with everything from a half of a fishing pole to a nylon stocking. I too am in California, and don't want to risk the punishment. Bagging my lobster for the weekend at a restaurant on the way home is less humiliating than a monster citation. I can just imagine...."Hey Honey, look what I brought home!"

Dear bristolxyz,

I do a lot of lobstering here in Florida. Don't put a light on your snare.

NiteRider makes some incredibly powerful dive lights that are worn on the head.
Your hands remain free to use a snare or tickle stick and a net.
They are so bright that I use them as operating lights in my dental practice.

The rechargable batteries last from 2 1/2-4 hours, depending on the type of light you use.

You should be aware that Florida Spiny Lobster have a light sensitive area on their tail. It's not an eye but
you can spook the lobster. Another trick I just learned is rather than a snare, use a 3-4 ft piece of
copper cable with no insulation on it. You might get someone on a electic utility truck to see if he has
some on the truck. This wire is about 1/4 of an inch thick.

It is very easy to bend and rebend and according to my source, the copper reacts with the salt wate
sufficiently to create and electric field. When you put the tickle stick behind the bugger it tries to get out
of the hole its in because it doesn't like the electric current.

Too bad, season's almost over!

Regards,

Laurence Stein DDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom