What makes a good dive site????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there a formula for a good dive site? I sit here wondering where I will dive next and was given the thought of what makes one place better than another? is the one factor that makes a spot better visability, aquatic life, water temp., Reef formations, even your buddy??? Is it a combination??????

:confused:

Formula:

1. Find a diver.

2. Ask diver to make a list of their most favourite things.

3. Ask diver to make a list of their least favourite things.

4. Find a site that matches 2) but not 3).

My ideal site is easy to access (by boat, preferably), has lots of interesting aquatic life at a range of depths, has good viz (would anyone vote otherwise?), is sheltered from wind/currents, doesn't have surf or surge and isn't crowded. Nice scenery to look at during the SI is a bonus. No rubbish on the surface or at depth. Warm water is a must.

The site I'm diving tomorrow meets two of these criteria, maybe three if the weather is good. Sigh.

Zept :tree:

Well, here in Blighty, a good dive site constitutes the following:

Is there water there?
Can we get in it?
Is there something less than a force 5 blowing?
If I extend my arm will I be able to train my torch on my hand and make out it's profile?
Will we ba able to get back out again?
Where's the nearest Bar?

NOTE
The above list is not in any specific order, and does not reflect the opinions of any other UK divers other than myself!!!!

:newbie:

For me, if there is water there and the air temp is above 65*F and the at depth water temp is at least 45*F then I'm happy. Its also nice to have at least one foot of viz. Other than that I don't like it if its a major project getting to the water--I'm built like a mantee and haven't the skills of a mountain goat.

the proximity of decent public restrooms? High on my list! Also, relatively easy entry and exit (no major rockclimbing, thank you!) and, of course, something interesting to see would be nice.

Last nite. 19 deg F. outside temp. wind howling, snow, 36 deg F water temp. Shore dive.

It was great!

It all depends on your point of view.........

Originally posted by detroit diver
Last nite. 19 deg F. outside temp. wind howling, snow, 36 deg F water temp. Shore dive.

It was great!

It all depends on your point of view.........
detroit diver
Where did you do this dive at?? It was freezing something crazy last night, and that wind was awful, Hopefully not in the River??:confused:

I would have to say...
1-fair to great visibility
2-something to see
3-water above 60 degrees
4- most important ( safety of dive)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom