Diving Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C-horse

Registered
Reaction score
Any ideas on some good scuba books ? A friend of mine gave me a copy of the Skin Diver's Bible, he paid 10 cents for it at a public library used book sale. I suppose the material is OK, better than nothing, however, some of the passages are confusing. For example, in the ear pressure equalization part it says to " snort slightly through the nose ", now snort like a bull about to gore a matador or snort like a Dallas Cowboy wide receiver in some seedy hotel room ? There's a big difference there. Thankfully, Bill cleared that confusion up quite a bit. At least I have a library card, so I don't have to buy every dive book under the sun.

C-horse.

I like Scuba Diving and Snorkeling for Dummies. It's written by John Newman.
I think all the "For Dummies" books are helpful.

Are you trying to find these books to learn to scuba dive, or just out of curiousity?

If you want to learn to dive, take a real class with real up to date books. After you learn to dive, then buy the stuff for fun and giggles. Some of that info is so outdated that it might be dangerous.

Reference or pleasure?

Reference: DIR fundamentals is popular around here. Scuba Diving Explained by Lawrence Martin, Beating the Bends (forgot the authors name) I also have Basic Diving Physics and applications.

Pleasure: The Last Dive by Chowdhury, Deep Descent by McMurray, and I'm currently reading The Helldivers Rodeo by Fontova.

That list will separate you from almost $150.

Tom

Dir fundamentals is a must read.

Andy

I did enjoy a book on the history of the french foriegn leigion i read a month or so ago. I like my war films and books:)

Reference
SCUBA DIVING (second edition) by Dennis K. Graver

For fun
The Darkness Beckons - Martyn Farr
Stars Beneath the Sea - Trevor Norton
Deep Water - Moya Crawford
Gold Finder - Keith Jessop

I have done a search for many books at my favorite bookstore and scuba books are sometimes hard to come by: as in, they are out of print, even when they are realtively young. I don't think that publishers make a lot of money on diving books and do a short run and discontinue them.

Just some thoughts.....

These are books that I have read, or currently reading.

Caverns Measureless to Man - Sheck Exley
Basic Cave Diving: A Blueprint for Survival - Sheck Exley (even if you are not a cave diver, this book can help you in open water)
Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria - Kevin McMurry
The Last Dive:A Father and Son's Fatal Descent into the Ocean's Depths - Bernie Chowdhury

Books I am wanting to read:
The Cave Divers Robert Burgess
The Hell Divers Rodeo - Humberto Fontova

That is just a partial list.

What I like to do is go to Barnes & Nobles and grab all of the diving books. I then sit down, grab a coffee, and laugh as I look through them. I read one two days ago and there was a picture of a lady laying on a reef looking at a fish. She had her octo, her SPG, and a flashlight all laying on the reef also. Under it was a notation that you should be careful of not touching reefs. On the next page were two guys kneeling on a reef.

Originally posted by Big James
...Books I am wanting to read:
The Cave Divers Robert Burgess
The Hell Divers Rodeo - Humberto Fontova

I just found both of these at our local public library a couple of weeks ago. Humberto Fontova is a member of the board, but I don't remember his login name. Reading his book involved a lot of laughing out loud with strange looks from my wife. I love the diving in 70's polyester disco outfits as exposure protection!

Chris

I am going to take some PADI courses within the next month or so, but I like to sort of prepare myself for things. However, I'm glad I'm reading up on it. This board has been especially helpful.

Why is it physically impossible for a bath tub to have more than a 24 inch ( 610 mm ) depth capacity for the water it holds ?

Because a tub holding 24 inches ( 610 mm ) or more of water is legally considered a spa or swimming pool. Just what everybody was dying to know. He he.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom