Dive computer for deaf diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drwicker

New
Reaction score
I am severely hearing impaired and am looking for a dive computer with alarms that vibrate. I obtained my AOW this Summer and have been using dive tables for my dives. I was wondering if anyone knew of such a dive computer.

I have a watch with alarms and timers that vibrate and it works well for using the old "noodle" with dive tables but I would like to upgrade.

Any ideas?

Sharon

The display on a dive computer is primarily visual. Many computers do not have audible alarms in the first place. While some computers do have audible alarms, many people also disable them as they can be distracting in a group and are really not needed if the diver is maintaining an adequate degree of situational awareness.

My thought would be to go with the computer that is most convenient for you in terms of its other features and don't get concerned about audible alarms or the need for a vibrating alarm. Not being able to hear an alarm just is not the impediment one would think it is.

Having said that, I own a Sherwood Wisdom that also has a flashing red LED on the display that provides a visual cue anytime an alarm is activated. Sort of like a master warning light in an airplane - it does not tell you specifically what is out of parameters, just that you need to look at the computer and check it. Of course, I find alarms to be annoying and not terribly useful so mine are deactivated.

Hi there...

I'm mostly posting so I can keep an eye on this thread... in case it is interesting. My daughter is deaf and I won't be surprised if she learns to dive when she is old enough. She is a fish! :)

I dive with a Suunto Vyper and although it has an audible alarm, I have never heard it underwater. Maybe it has something to do with the hoods I wear in the cold water. This seems to be common with many of the people that I dive with.

I would second the advice above. Get a computer that works well for you and don't worry too much about the alarm.

I dive with a hood all the time too and cannot hear my alarms. I just ensure I regularly check my computer and SPG.

Ontario Diver:
I dive with a Suunto Vyper and although it has an audible alarm, I have never heard it underwater. Maybe it has something to do with the hoods I wear in the cold water. This seems to be common with many of the people that I dive with.

I've never heard my Suunto Mosquito underwater but then hoods do have something to do with it. I wear it on the inside of my right arm so I can hold onto my buddy and check the visual signals while my left hand is on the inflator.

drwicker:
I am severely hearing impaired and am looking for a dive computer with alarms that vibrate. I obtained my AOW this Summer and have been using dive tables for my dives. I was wondering if anyone knew of such a dive computer.

I have a watch with alarms and timers that vibrate and it works well for using the old "noodle" with dive tables but I would like to upgrade.

Any ideas?

Sharon
I'll save Larry the trouble. :)

Tusa IQ-800 DC-Sapience Wrist Computer

The World's First Vibrating Computer!

1/4 of the way down the page.

Charley

Thank you for all of the input. Since I have never heard an alarm, I wasn't sure if anyone used them or not. I really appreciate all of the input. Charley, you REALLY got specific and I appreciate that too!

Sharon

Same here, I dive with a hood, and never hear my computer. It's best not to wait for alarms and know what is going on at all times. Don't think you need the vibrate feature, would have been kewl though.

drwicker:
Thank you for all of the input. Since I have never heard an alarm, I wasn't sure if anyone used them or not. I really appreciate all of the input. Charley, you REALLY got specific and I appreciate that too!

Sharon
My pleasure Sharon.

Charley

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom