Supporting your local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GW Diver

Reaction score
I would like to find out everyones feeling on supporting their local dive shop. Do people not care or is it important?

it's important for me to use a dive shop, if it weren't there I couldn;t get a fill! seriously though, shops tend to make next to nothing as dive fill operations in my area so I have no prob buying equipment there at a reasonable price rather than some tat off the likes of ebay!

I regularly visit & buy at several dive shops.
I like to shop around & it's always nice to hear different opinions on the same subject.
It would be hard to support only one without getting locked into a specific brand of gear and I like trying different types.

yep, I tend to buy things under £50 in price either through in Glasgow or in Edinburgh, if I'm gonna pay more I will wait until I'm down in Swansea and will go to Days Diving, June ( shop owner) has always proved to be the cheapest and I like to support her shop as she gives a lot of support to Swansea Uni Diving Club.

Sort of depends on what you mean by support. If my local shop has what I want at a fair price, I'll buy it there. If not, I'll support the shop on the net which gives me the best deal. But I always check with my LDS first. I like the folks and want them to succeed.

Phil

I continue to support a few of my LDS. The service is much easier and I can get my gas fills. I recently had an experience with my drysuit that my LDS went to bat on my behalf. Upshot was I got a replacement suit. I doubt I could have gotten that on my own. Yes I pay a bit more, but frankly it's worth it to me.

Yes, I continue to support my LDS ... they give me service you can't get at a cheaper price anywhere.

Dropped in last night with my drysuit ... I split a wrist seal over the week-end. The store manager said "Let's take that in the back room and I'll show you how to replace it". Spent the next two hours using their tools, materials, and workbench replacing the seal. I now have a working suit, plus the knowledge of how to fix it myself next time one breaks ... and all it cost me was the price of the seal.

Can't get that sort of service at LeisurePro ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Yes, I continue to support my LDS ... they give me service you can't get at a cheaper price anywhere.
That's the key. I'm very supportive of a shop near me because I get excellent service from them.

When I first started diving, I shopped around (internet, catalogs) for the cheapest deals I could find on most things except regs, bc´s and computers (I valued the service after the sale). The more I´ve been associated with my LDS, though, the better the deals they give me and the more I give them my business. The more they have supported me, the more I have supported them. There are still times when a LDS doesn´t carry what I´m looking for and rather than wait for them to order it I´ll find it elsewhere.

I support my LDS because they have been great about helping me out and giving me advice.

If they weren't there, diving (For me) would be much harder.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom