It's a Bad Day of Diving When...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJDiver_34

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of the greatest thrills is flying underwater!!! But like most things in life you sometimes have a bad day. What mishaps have resulted in you having a bad day of diving.

When night diving, divers who just show up out of nowhere shining lights in your face to see if you are part of their group, and then follow you around because they're lost. Like at the Breakwater at Monterey on Saturday night. :upset:

All of your group had different colored marker lights to us! Go away! And stop shining lights in people's eyes in pitch black water! And watch where your fins are, you kicked 6 starfish off one rock alone!

... You're diving with a person that has ankle weights on their drysuit and the swim so foot heavy that they manage to just about silt out a sandy bottom dive.

"Note to self.... remove him from wrecks buddy list"

-Jeff

How about when you go diving with 2 Master divers (I'm a DM) and as soon as you get in the 42 degree water (This happened today. I'm still a bit steamed)and bob around for about 5 minutes, one heads back in because the 1' waves are "too much! I panicked!". The other one's head in barely out of the water because "my BC is leaking like mad". You know, the BC that he looked over as part of his pre-dive check. ARGHHH:) Oh well, still got a few lobsters after we all got fixed and settled so it wasn't all bad.

is when you pay for a 2 tank dive - and find out during the SI that the dive operator didn't bring enough tanks for more than 3 people to get a second tank. :upset:

Drift diving when the viz is 1-2m (3-6ft) and you have less than a second between seeing the rocks and hitting them is... interesting.

But a really bad day involves sitting on the beach while your friends go diving. Might happen to me this weekend, because I have a sore throat. So far willpower, vitamins and lots of water are keeping it from developing into anything more serious, but it won't go away. Aargh!

Z

Originally posted by Zept
Drift diving when the viz is 1-2m (3-6ft) and you have less than a second between seeing the rocks and hitting them is... interesting.

*cackle*

[From my dive log]
Wreck diving. Shore Dive. Francis. Head of the Meadow Beach. 200 ft down the beach after hiking up and over a sand dune. Swim out, take a compass bearing. Decend. Search for 1 minute to find Matt. Found Matt. Take a look at compass. Can't see compass. Ask Matt if he's ok. Can't see Matt. Grab his arm. put hand 6 inches from his face to signal. swim 20 feet to try and get out of plankton bloom. Hand in Matt's face to tell him to abort. Hike everything back to the car.

So, how many minutes do you have to be down to log a dive? How about 4?

Originally posted by funky__monks
So, how many minutes do you have to be down to log a dive? How about 4?

On the day with the low-flying rocks, I logged three dives and had a total bottom time (including safety stops) of 55 minutes. Didn't see much, but I learnt a lot... so I have three log entries documenting all the things I'll never do again!

If you learn a lot in a very short time, is your bad dive good value?

Z

Originally posted by Zept

If you learn a lot in a very short time, is your bad dive good value?

Definately. There's nothing better for learning than a crappy dive. You never know what you really know until your thrown out of your comfort zone.

-Jeff

I am enjoying a nice relaxing drift dive with friends and have to watch some idiot lobster hunter kicking the hell out of the reef and thinking just because he is wearing gloves that its ok for him to pull and glide along the coral since he undoubtly doesn't have any bouyancy skills and doesn't know how to hover and maintain a horizontal position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom