Insurance question PLEASE HELP!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ekiledjian

Registered
Reaction score
I will be going to Varadero Cuba on vacation and need to purchase medical and dive insurance. Since I am PADI certified, I can buyt the PADI dive insurance. I can become a DAN member and get their insurance. Or I can get just dive coverage from one of the above and get medical (non scuba) insurance from Blue Cross... The prices are about the same.... I am sooooooooooooooo confused... Please help. Please send replies to ekiledjian at hotmail dot com.

Thanks a million

ekiledjian:
I will be going to Varadero Cuba on vacation and need to purchase medical and dive insurance. Since I am PADI certified, I can buyt the PADI dive insurance. I can become a DAN member and get their insurance. Or I can get just dive coverage from one of the above and get medical (non scuba) insurance from Blue Cross... The prices are about the same.... I am sooooooooooooooo confused... Please help. Please send replies to ekiledjian at hotmail dot com.

Thanks a million

I asked a similar question not long ago, and got some very good advice... check it out...

http://www.scubaboard.com/t83407-.html

Ron

The DAn Insurance is good as is the PADI through V&B you can also consider the DiveSafe Plan.

With them you don't need to pay additional costs for your equipment.

www.divesafeinsurance.com or 1-800-665-5252

ekiledjian:

Thanks a million

You don't need to be PADI certified to get dive insurance through PADI. Go to the websites of each (PADI, DAN, etc.) and compare the cost vs. benefits for yourself.

--Matt

matt_unique:
You don't need to be PADI certified to get dive insurance through PADI. Go to the websites of each (PADI, DAN, etc.) and compare the cost vs. benefits for yourself.

--Matt

I went with the PADI insurance because it also covers you on dives within a 50 mile radius from your home, which is where I will be doing 90% of my dives. DAN doesn't cover you if you are 50 miles or closer to your home.

Derek S:
DAN doesn't cover you if you are 50 miles or closer to your home.

they do, EXCEPT for cancelled or interrupted vacation coverage.
in order for this coverage to apply, your vacation has to be at least 50 miles from your home.

in other words, if you get bent 49.9 miles from home, they'll cover
medical costs, but won't refund the money you lost for having to
cancel/interrupt the vacation.

check page 11:

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/preferredcert.pdf

H2Andy:
they do, EXCEPT for cancelled or interrupted vacation coverage. in order for this coverage to apply, your vacation has to be at least 50 miles from your home.

in other words, if you get bent 49.9 miles from home, they'll cover
medical costs, but won't refund you money you lost for having to
cancel/interrupt the vacation.

check page 11:

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/preferredcert.pdf

Thanks for the info. When my PADI one is up, I'll switch over to DAN.

ekiledjian:

Thanks a million

My wife and I just returned from Cozumel and we were insured through Blue Cross.
This covered everything from accidental death to any and all related recompression chamber costs. I think it cost us 25.00 Canadian for a weeks coverage,you can't go wrong for this kind of money.Hope you enjoy your trip

Derek S:
I went with the PADI insurance because it also covers you on dives within a 50 mile radius from your home, which is where I will be doing 90% of my dives. DAN doesn't cover you if you are 50 miles or closer to your home.
Paid my bill, just 4 miles from my home. DAN insurance covers you regardless of how far from home you are. Where the 50 mile limit come in is for the travel portion, as in vacation. If you are less than 50 miles from home they do not see a need to pay for travel to return you to home, your already there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom