What do you consider dive safety equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
One sunny morning at 9:30 a.m. we dropped down into absolutely black inky water at 60 feet (lights started going out at 30 FSW). I retrieved my small dive light that lives in my BC pocket and that improved visibility from zero to 2-3 feet. My dive partner did not carry a light and we aborted the dive.

So that raises the question. What do you consider dive safety equipment that accompanies you on every single dive, no exceptions, day or night after regulators and BC?

For me that is:
1. cutting instrument for fish line and rope. In my case that is a knife, but a pair of cutting shears is on my to buy list.
2. light, small UK C-4 light in the BC pocket.
3. Whistle

Why?
Never know when you will find monofilament and potentially get caught in it.
Never know when conditions will get real dark even on a day dive or for that odd hole you want to peer into.

EMT shears,
small lockback knife,
signal mirror 3"x4"
a couple sheets of waterproof paper and a pencil (wrapped around mirror),
whistle,
PCa 7.2 Watt light
(+ Q40 + UK 2AAA lights for night dives),
DiveAlert,
4"x44" signal sausage with 30' of cord,
and/or 6" x 8' "orange garbage bag" signal tube enclosed in protective bike innertube cover,
compass.

All of the above, except Dive Alert and compass are in BCD pockets.

Charlie99:
EMT shears,
small lockback knife,
signal mirror,
a couple sheets of waterproof paper and a pencil (wrapped around mirror),
whistle,
PCa 7.2 Watt light
(+ Q40 + UK 2AAA lights for night dives),
DiveAlert,
4"x44" signal sausage with 30' of cord,
and/or 6" x 8' "orange garbage bag" signal tube enclosed in protective bike innertube cover,
compass.

All of the above, except Dive Alert and compass are in BCD pockets.
Wow, have you got a can of sliced peaches in there somewhere?

just a linecutter for overhead diving (in addition to the required three lights, reels, etc).

for ocean diving, the linecutter, a safety sausage, and a small light.

i used to carry EMT shears, but i found them to be bulky and my linecutter is much
handier.

I always carry a dive light, knife,sheers,strobe, see me tube,mirror and whistle. All of these things have assisted me or allowed me to assist another diver at some time or another. ALWAYS DIVE PREPARED.
pasley:
One sunny morning at 9:30 a.m. we dropped down into absolutely black inky water at 60 feet (lights started going out at 30 FSW). I retrieved my small dive light that lives in my BC pocket and that improved visibility from zero to 2-3 feet. My dive partner did not carry a light and we aborted the dive.

So that raises the question. What do you consider dive safety equipment that accompanies you on every single dive, no exceptions, day or night after regulators and BC?

For me that is:
1. cutting instrument for fish line and rope. In my case that is a knife, but a pair of cutting shears is on my to buy list.
2. light, small UK C-4 light in the BC pocket.

Why?
Never know when you will find monofilament and potentially get caught in it.
Never know when conditions will get real dark even on a day dive or for that odd hole you want to peer into.

Delayed SMB/Reel.
Small SL6 torch
Knife
Whistle
Strobe

Note these arent the only things i take on a dive but merely the things i wont ever dive without in open water. Normally i carry backups such as a primary torch, spare DSMB and so on.

Charlie99:
NO, but I did drink a 200ml Capri Sun juice pack towards the end of the 2nd dive :chicken:.

Look more carefully at my list and you will see that they are small items.
ohhh man, that's good! I'm a KoolAid man myself, ohh yea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom