PRO Advice, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onlyuman

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering getting my DM cert in Utila this May, but I'm concerned about Utila's rep for training "so many, so cheaply". Does this make DMs trained in Utila less employable? I figure my skills, and experience are the most important considerations for a potential employer. But, if I don't get a chance to present assets I bring to the job because of the reputation of the center that certified me, I may need to reconsider where I am going to train.
What do you think?
I'd especially like to hear from seasoned pros on this one, please.

Thank you

This is really open to opinion, but the PADI structure and quality control makes this a very level playing field. I would think it is more like the real world where your school means less with the more work experience you have.

I just don't believe there is a Harvard or Stanford of dive schools.

Many will debate this, but personally I am planning to do my IDC at Mermaids in Pattaya, Thailand. http://www.mermaiddive.com/idc.htm

The reason being that I know I get a lot more training for the money and have met Steve, the owner who is from Brooklyn. With a monthly apartment rental for a very nice place of under $300 a month plus a full menu of Pro courses and unlimited dives, its hard to beat. ($3-6K) This would could be with an internship as well. Bangkok is only a $9 bus ride away.

The additional consideration is a lack of anything to do inh Utila beyond diving. I eyeballed Utila closley too. I do plan to visit Roatan though.

onlyuman:
I'm considering getting my DM cert in Utila this May, but I'm concerned about Utila's rep for training "so many, so cheaply". Does this make DMs trained in Utila less employable? I figure my skills, and experience are the most important considerations for a potential employer. But, if I don't get a chance to present assets I bring to the job because of the reputation of the center that certified me, I may need to reconsider where I am going to train.
What do you think?

Thank you

The dive centres I know of tend to train their own DM's. If you intend to work at a particular shop then you should consult them about their requirements. Most of the shops I know in Holland won't employ anyone who was "resort" trained unless they are truly exceptional. The general impression here (for better or worse) is that resort courses produce usless divers and even more useless Pros. Personally I have my doubts about that becaue I believe that resort courses need the *most* efficient approach, and that this focus on the "most efficient" has its merit but that nothwithstanding, you'll probably need to confront the preconception that you are "useless" if you want to find work locally......

R..

Unless they've gone and changed the c-cards on me, you DM card doesn't even mention the name of the instructor that signed off on your application, let alone at which shop, dive center or resort. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Things to look for in the course:

Your skills should be really, really polished to demo level.
Ideally, you'd be sitting in on classes with real students, not simulated classes.
Your instructor should be providing you with lots of feedback.

Hi

I am from Utila, the level of training on Utila is exceptional, I have many DM's and Instructors we have trained working all over the world, it is one of the few Places that has 3 IDC centres within about half a mile of each other, the reputation of cheap came from the cost of living here. If you would like information i will happily give you an unbiased view, even though i do own a dive centre here, please feel free to PM me.

onlyuman:
What do you think?

Thank you

IMHO-the DM program should essentially be an apprenticeship en route to becoming an instructor. It really depends upon your aspirations and goals in becoming a DM. Too many go through DM too fast and then are ill prepared for an instructor course. You really need class and pool time with "live" students under the direction of a good instructor over a period of time if your goal is to become an instructor. If you only want to crew on a boat then obtaining that teaching experience under a mentor instructor may be somewhat less critical. I only accept a DM candidate after knowing what their goals are and only after having them sit in on one full OW class, first night to last open water. I get to know the candidate and they get to know me. At a minimum they assist with two full OW classes in addition to the DM class itself. As I said the best way to go through DM is to approach it as an apprenticeship under the guidance of an instructor you are very comfortable with. Look at all the various training agencies' DM programs and assess each one as it suits your needs-then find an instructor with whom you have confidence in their experience. Do not go about this haphazardly-do your research before forking over alot of money! Good Luck!

Jeff
NAUI/YMCA Instructor

Depends what you want to do as a DM. If you want to work as a guide somewhere in the tropical world, work on you DM down there. If you want to assist with classes, you should find out how much contact you will have with living breathing students. If you want to work on a boat up north, you should do you DM work up north.

You should find out what is involved in the class. I would not concentrate too much on the fact the class may be cheap, there are other factors that go into price. I would not fly anywhere for a 'one week wonder' DM class, that may be a worthless cert if you want to find a real job. You should sweat a little bit for your cert, but you will appreciate it as well.

Find out - -

How many instructors you will work with (to see a variety of techniques)
How many and what classes will you assist with. (If you assist with 25 Resort Certs you may want to slit your own throat).
How many actual dives you will do (sometimes these are thrown in for free, but the experience is priceless).

Hi onlyuman -

Your question does you credit. It shows that professionalism is important to you.
That quality (attitude) is the most important one for a professional level diver.

As has been stated, the PADI courses are standardised, and as such the knowledge that you receive will be the same everywhere. The practical portion of your training will only be as good as the instructor/dive shop you work with.

I have just moved to Utila and have had the opportunity to see how several of the dive centers here work. The number of divers who go through Utila is amazing and many of them stop along the way to do all of their professional training.

You will need to evaluate the dive centers for yourself, but there is high quality training to be found here.

The variety of backgrounds, experience and cultures that you will come in contact with will give you an excellent understanding of the dive industry world-wide.

If you would like more information, please feel free to contact me directly.

Good Luck with your future as a dive professional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom