Hey Hoover ~ Did you ruin someone's dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
You are a hoover. You suck down half your al80 before even getting to the bottom. You discover your needle is in the red 15 minutes later and only then bother to inform the poor person assigned as your *buddy* what your air status is. You thumb the dive and expect them to accompany you to the surface. They do but still have 2/3 of their gas left. They paid $$$ for the dive trip but you've ruined it for them.

the question ---> Do you feel any responsibility to recompense them?

Uncle Pug:
You are a hoover. You suck down half your al80 before even getting to the bottom. You discover your needle is in the red 15 minutes later and only then bother to inform the poor person assigned as your *buddy* what your air status is. You thumb the dive and expect them to accompany you to the surface. They do but still have 2/3 of their gas left. They paid $$$ for the dive trip but you've ruined it for them.

Do you feel any responsibility to recompense them?

Whoopsie, I think this was supposed to be a PM to someone UP! :D

Derek S:
Whoopsie, I think this was supposed to be a PM to someone UP! :D

Perhaps not. Perhaps it's an open question to those (you know who you are :wink: ) who suck down their air too quickly.

In reply to the question, if it is indeed open, while I would feel bad for sucking down all my air, I wouldn't feel bad enough to stick my hand in my pocket :wink:

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

well...

if i were such a hoover, i would inform anyone to be paired with me that i am a
hoover, and that i expect them to end the dive with me.

if they don't want to dive with me, that's fine, in which case i'd do an easy, short, solo dive aroundn the anchor line to no more than 60-80 feet (yes, i said solo).

i would never knowingly agree to a dive plan i know i can't complete, given my hooverism.

thus, i don't accept the premise of the scenario =)

If I had paid to get on a boat, but didn't have a pre-planned buddy going with me - then I wouldn't expect anyone to compensate me because they breathed their gas much quicker. If my pre-planned buddy breathed the gas down too quickly, then I shoulda known better to have him come along while expecting a longer dive anyway. The way I see it, if you want to dive with a buddy, be sure to bring a buddy that is going to breath atleast somewhat with a similar rate of gas consumption. If there are multiple dives involved, ask for another buddy on your next dive.

That's why I don't let dive boats assign buddies to me. I either bring one, or I dive solo. A dive buddy is supposed to be just that - two people paired up with equal or similiar capabilities. If not, one is a babysitter/reserve gas hauler. Maybe you guys up there in the NW should publish your SAC's on your suit for identification. This is in jest of course. I wouldn't be PO'd for an unforseen event calling the dive. I would be if the diver I was paired up with knew in advance an 80cf wasn't big enough to match the planned dive profile and didn't inform me.

What happened to divers knowing how much gas they use and how much bottom time to expect so they could do a pre-dive brief with their buddy? Bad form.

My travel buddy is worse than me and when diving with a couple of local dive buddies that are slightly better I use my E-8 130.In a way I am paying in both cases and not ruining their dive. If paired with new buddy you explain it before hand and decide to dive together or not.

NauticalbutNice:
Perhaps not. Perhaps it's an open question to those (you know who you are :wink: ) who suck down their air too quickly.

In reply to the question, if it is indeed open, while I would feel bad for sucking down all my air, I wouldn't feel bad enough to stick my hand in my pocket :wink:

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:
I do believe that you and I are on the same page here :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom