Who's your buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kestrell

Reaction score
I have a question for those of you that have a regular buddy.

Within your buddy team, is there a dominant buddy?

By that, I mean, is there one person who generally takes the lead, calls the shots, and solves the problems?

The reason I'm asking, is that I was thinking about my buddy team. I tend to be the "Alpha" member and started thinking about a situation my buddy (my wife) got in that I helped her with when we were diving. I'm came to the conclusion that she may not have been able to deal with the situation effectively.

The point I am making is that it is not enough to be able to handle anything your buddy can get into, you also have to be sure your buddy can handle anything you can get into.

So for all of you leaders out there, take the lead by making your buddy lead from time to time. Let (make) them lead the dive, call the shots, and solve the problems.

My son...I let him control the dive sometimes...he is a newbie and prefers me to take the lead most of the time.

I dive with the same buddy all the time. Neither of us take a "lead" position. We both agree on the dive and ALWAYS watch each other's back very closely. I really do not think that a Lead Buddy is a role worth undertaking. We work as a team and the only person we are in control of is ourselves. We accept limited responsibility for each other, by limited I mean the responsibility that one can control over another person(when the buddy needs help) when they are in a detrimental position.

goofystan:
I dive with the same buddy all the time. Neither of us take a "lead" position. We both agree on the dive and ALWAYS watch each other's back very closely. I really do not think that a Lead Buddy is a role worth undertaking. We work as a team and the only person we are in control of is ourselves. We accept limited responsibility for each other, by limited I mean the responsibility that one can control over another person(when the buddy needs help) when they are in a detrimental position.

Exactly my point. I agree that there shouldn't be a leader and a follower, but I was noticing that people subconsiously fall into that roll at times. If this happens to be the case then you should take steps to correct it.

Also, I think it is good to designate a lead for a dive. Not a dictator of the underwater world per se, but someone to key off of. That way there is some direction (other than the dive plan) when on the site. this can help avoid situations like when you and someone else end up wandering around for ten minutes somewhere because you were following him and he was following you. Plus, when you are accustomed to leading it is easier to take charge of a situation when you need to do so.

It is very important for the lead buddy to put more and more responsability on the non lead buddys gradually, not doing makes for weaker buds who cant navigate, know when to turn the dive, perform stops etc. Even if thoses things are talked about before the dive they may not have the confidence to do so.

Just to argue a distinctions:

- If by "Lead" you mean the person who deals with all the issues, problems and concerns while the "Follower" swims along side and is incapable of dealing with any issues or "leading", I think that's a problem.

- If by "Lead" you mean the person who happens to be in front based on an agreement in the pre-dive plan and where the "follower" is just as capable of leading (and probably did the last dive), I would say that's the way it should be.

trob09:
Just to argue a distinctions:

- If by "Lead" you mean the person who deals with all the issues, problems and concerns while the "Follower" swims along side and is incapable of dealing with any issues or "leading", I think that's a problem.

- If by "Lead" you mean the person who happens to be in front based on an agreement in the pre-dive plan and where the "follower" is just as capable of leading (and probably did the last dive), I would say that's the way it should be.

Yes, the first one not the second one.

I don't have enough dives with the same buddy(ies) to give a complete answer, but it has usually been best when we discuss the general plan and then dive side-by-side. I don't mind leading, but I hate having a "follower" get completely out of my view. Sometimes back, sometimes above, sometimes just from poor viz.

Overall, I think I tend to be a "dominant" buddy, but then I usually am at the front of tour groups on land, too.

-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom