Are there any GLBT divers/groups/clubs out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FastDen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi y'all-
Just wondering: are there any GLBT divers/groups/clubs out there? Not that being GLBT in diving matters (nor should it- and in my experience divers in general are pretty open, laid-back and accepting folks, which is a big reason why I love it so much), but I never seem to meet any other GLBT folks when I'm diving! I can't be the only one! :) I generally travel solo, since none of my friends or family are divers, and I've come to enjoy the freedom and flexibility traveling solo allows, and I love meeting new friends. Yet more often than not, dive boats seem to always be made up of (straight) couples or friends traveling and diving together, with the occassional solo like myself. And more often than not, during the boat ride to the dive site (I do most of my diving in Cozumel) the conversation naturally covers the usual topics: the diving (naturally!) and then the "getting to know you" stuff- where are you from, what do you do, etc. etc. And almost invariably, I also get the questions about why are you traveling/diving alone, where is (or do you have) a wife/girlfriend//kids/family, etc. etc., always asked with the best intentions. And I always reply honestly, and it's never been an issue with my fellow divers either, which is as it should be and which gives me hope for the non-diving "real world". Yet I'd be less than honest if I didn't admit that sometimes I end up feeling a little more "alone" than I would otherwise. So I'd love to hear from y'all out there- am I the only one?!?!

PS: I just found this board yesterday, signed up, posted my first thread/question, and I'm hooked! This is great! Thanks for your feedback!

Hey FastDen!

Welcome to the best board around!

GLBT should probably be explained for some:
Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual or Transgendered.

No, you're certainly not alone!

And I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome from other members shortly.

My partner and I have only been diving since October, and we're always buddies, so I haven't suffered the same "alone" feelings. I also would be interested in any GLBT diving groups out there, but I don't feel the need to dive with just "family" - divers are a great family all their own!

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

Hey Scuba Sass-
Thanks for the reply! I agree- I don't feel the need to dive (or most anything else) exclusively with other gay people. But it's always nice to get a sense of where your "brothers and sisters" are in any given realm, including the wonderful world of diving. And even though it may seem that diving is an "orientation-neutral" activity, don't forget that the Cayman Islands officially deny us welcome in their country. (sorry to get up on my soapbox, but...) Anyway, hope to chat with you more soon!
FastDen

Welcome to the board! Sure didn't take you long to get hooked :wink:

I think you'll find we are a very diversified bunch...no matter what orientation you look for.

Tell us about your diving in Coz....that's one of my favorite places.

Hi FastDen,

I dont know of any GLBT diving groups; let me know if you come across any! If no one on this board comes up with one, maybe you could start one here. It seems to me that there's GOT to be one or more GLBT diving groups in nyc! I grew up in Greenwich Village, and it seems like there were signs/ads/posters etc. for GLBT groups for just about every activity.

Welcome to the board and I wish you lots of luck!
otter-cat:)

Howdy!

I know there is a gay dive group in San Francisco, but don't know their name. Funny, I'm not that interested in joining it.

I belong to a very straight local dive club, but haven't even dove with them yet! (It sucks to work on Saturdays. GRRR.)

I got recertified (after a ten year hiatus from original certification) because of a man I was seeing and we wanted to go diving together and we both had been certified in the past.

Well, by the time I got my re-cert. (and he didn't) we stopped seeing each other. But I've kept on diving ever since.

My occasional dive buddy has been a straight woman for a few years!

But I'm open to new experiences... some day I'll try scuba diving with a gay friend. :)

. paul
http://www.myscuba.com/getdeep/

Hey folks, I just found this post by searching "gay divers" because I too was wondering how many others there are out there. I found several resources on the net but the best so far has been at www.divingforlife.org . You can go to their page to see what they are about. The have a big trip every year a take over an entire dive resort. This year it is Scuba Club in Coz.

I have been diving since I was a kid and like you, always did the solo thing on the trips. I still had fun but you know how it is. I just got my partner to get certified so know I will have a full time buddy. We have a very cool club in Charlotte but every now and then we still get, "Where is is your wife?" Oh well.

I think we are going to try to make the Diving For Life trip this year. It will be my first G/L/B/T exclusive trip.

Let this be a warning to you. ScubaBoard is a rough
place. If you were parapalegics there are people here
that would mock you and criticize everything you say.
Now, they're divers too so it doesn't mean anything. If
you're a diver you're in the club. Period. But it doesn't
spare you from the slings and arrows of the other members.

Take it from one of the 5 lawyers on the board. They never
let up...

OK, you've been warned. Welcome to ScubaBoard.:wacko:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom