Regs in checked airline luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masterdon

New
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to ScubaBoard and this is my first post. My wife and I have made an annual dive trip to the Carib for the past eleven years. We have always hand carried our regs. Question: I recently won a Pelican dive case. Is there any reason that the regs could not be placed in the case with the checked luggage?

Welcome to the board.

The best reason I know of not to put them in checked luggage is the possibility of them dissappearing, never to be seen again....and the airline could care less. I never put anything of value in checked baggage. My regs and my camera is always carry on, they can have my dirty underware.

First of all welcome to the board! 2nd. of all I wouldn't check them in. I always carry mine on also along with any camera equipment, you don't want to risk having them stolen or something happening to them. carry them on.

I would always carry the regs and camera with me I don't like surprises...

Robert

If you check them, you need to declare the value of them. Otherwise I think the airline pays based on the weight of the luggage and a max value of either a few hundred to $1200. 2 regulators with computers on them can easily run more thatn $1200.

Bottom line, Carry on.

I always carry reg & mask on board. However the bag is always checked closely by security and sometimes I am taken aside and questioned about why, where were you going, what is it and so on. Be ready to answer questions. But I have the equipment in my possession.

Welcome to the board :D

masterdon:
Hello, I am new to ScubaBoard and this is my first post. My wife and I have made an annual dive trip to the Carib for the past eleven years. We have always hand carried our regs. Question: I recently won a Pelican dive case. Is there any reason that the regs could not be placed in the case with the checked luggage?

I always check them and often travel with 4 or more regs. Losing them is a risk, but relatively low. If by Pelican case you mean one of the large ones that holds all of your gear, be careful since they are so heavy and tend to put you over weight restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom