Nitrox and Deep Diving from PADI or IANTD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kckskh

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi...was thinking of taking nitrox and deep diving from PADI and IANTD. Is it advisable anot?

Both courses through both agencies? What is it you hope to learn in one that you won't in the other? I'm pretty sure PADI will recognize the certs from IANTD if you are going the DM route, so if you have a good IANTD instructor available why not go that route? IANTD gives your instructor a fair amount of lattitude to offer combined courses, esp. that Nitrox class. I've also seen that Deep class offered with either Rec Trimix (30/30) or Adv. Nitrox.

FWIW, I'm a PADI OW diver who will most likely continue with IANTD, not PADI, for my next certs.

It has been said before, many times: Pick your Instructor. Find a good instructor that you have some chemistry with. Pay the instructor. Don't worry about the agency.

By and large the certifying agencies are in the business of making money. Most of what they put out is marketing designed to create a profitable niche. The core, safety stuff is essentially the same across the board.

So, find an instructor who knows what they are doing and who respects you as a person and fellow diver. Make sure the instructor can put the lessons in language you can understand. Then do your part: Read everything the instructor tells you to and put all your energy and passion into learning what the instructor is trying to teach. In the end you'll be safe and happy regardless of the label on your cert card.

Depends. Make sure that your dive area, DMs, and shops will accept your certification. You can get great training from any agency, just make sure that you get the instructor that YOU want. Shop around, you're paying for it.

I have a PADI nitrox class this Sunday, in fact. But to me, it makes no diff, because I know all the instructors at my LDS, and in any case I wouldn't let my own training stop at the end of the class. No reason not to have some self-training after you're certified from books, etc. Mixed gas diving and diving physiology is a fascinating subject, anyway. :)

Is anyone going to deny you a nitrox fill with either a PADI or IANTD card?

Slick6:

You will not be denied with PADI and/or IANTD certification. The thing to remember is that the shop can be held legally responsible for whom they sell products. They are liability insured in most cases through their training agency when affiliated. There is reciprocity between most, NOT ALL, agencies. Meaning that a PADI shop will recognise a NAUI OW card because PADI liability insurance will cover it. Normal reciprocity is between these agencies: PADI, NAUI, SSI, SDI, IDEA, PDIC and IANTD. Check and make sure...

Slick6:
No but you may be denied a deco procedure course with a PADI nitrox card. Sorry to say but I don't feel the PADI course focuses on the formulas enough and cause divers to rely on the little green RDPs

wedivebc:
No but you may be denied a deco procedure course with a PADI nitrox card. Sorry to say but I don't feel the PADI course focuses on the formulas enough and cause divers to rely on the little green RDPs

You argue fact and opinion: you say, "... but you may be denied a deco procedure course with a PADI nitrox card." Where? In fact? And you say, " ... but I don't feel the PADI course focuses on the formulas enough." That's an opinion. I took IANTD Nitrox Diver (Oceanic Ventures, Houston) and have assissted in PADI Enriched Air instruction (Oak Hill Scuba, Austin), both courses offer basic intro for rec-divers and are all but the same.

BigboyDan:
You argue fact and opinion: you say, "... but you may be denied a deco procedure course with a PADI nitrox card." Where? In fact? And you say, " ... but I don't feel the PADI course focuses on the formulas enough." That's an opinion. I took IANTD Nitrox Diver (Oceanic Ventures, Houston) and have assissted in PADI Enriched Air instruction (Oak Hill Scuba, Austin), both courses offer basic intro for rec-divers and are all but the same.

That fact is based on when I am teaching deco procedures and advanced nitrox I invariably find a blank look on many PADI trained divers face when I mention things like Dalton's Law and EAD. They have to play catch-up to things that other agencies teach their divers during a nitrox course. I teach through TDI, PADI SDI and ANDI and I took my basic nitrox from IANTD so my opinoin is based on that limited experience

Well, the PADI EA class is it own thing, and it's intent is basic use. For the most part PADI wants, so far, to maintain a certain distance from the tech world, that's not it's mission, rec is. Even NAUI is in the slow process of separating its tech courses (similar to that of SDI and TDI) from its main rec core. www.nauitec.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom