Does YMCA = CMAS cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phatbeets

New
Reaction score
In reading information yesterday I stumbled on the CMAS cert offered by the Y. Is this a seperate class from open water? If I'm in the Med on a boat am I therefore cleared for most of Europe, Australia, South America, the Carib? I'm currently crew on a local ship and want to add to my resume (and the fact that I don't like getting out of the water once I'm in). I have about a trillion dive shops in the area but I don't think that any have the CMAS cert. So is it worth my while to go to the Y and do the extra work to make myself eligible? Is there a negligible difference?

Tanks (Ah haha ha....tanks)
PB

Phatbeets:
In reading information yesterday I stumbled on the CMAS cert offered by the Y. Is this a seperate class from open water? If I'm in the Med on a boat am I therefore cleared for most of Europe, Australia, South America, the Carib? I'm currently crew on a local ship and want to add to my resume (and the fact that I don't like getting out of the water once I'm in). I have about a trillion dive shops in the area but I don't think that any have the CMAS cert. So is it worth my while to go to the Y and do the extra work to make myself eligible? Is there a negligible difference?
The CMAS certification will be useful mainly in France and French territories, IF you should decide to go beyond their OW class. In the rest of the world, CMAS certification carries no specific advantages over any other agency.

The CMAS system basically works like this:

One star =~ PADI OW. This allows you to dive to 18 m (60 ft) under the supervision of a DM.

Two star =~ PADI Rescue. This allows you to dive to 40 m (130 ft) under the responsibility of an instructor who knows the site and has cleared your dive plan.

Three star =~ a combination of DM and Deep Diver skills. This allows you to dive to 60 m (200 ft) with a buddy with similar qualifications.

Of course, these limitations have legal force only in France... This being said, the CMAS curriculum is generally well thought of. They now also include specialties in Nitrox, rebreather and Trimix diving.

If you have a PADI OW certification, you can enroll in a CMAS 2* course. If you are Rescue certified, you can enroll in their 3* course.

I have a YMCA certification, all I had to do was pay a few bucks and I got the CMAS.

Walter:
The YMCA course is worth taking simply because it is an excellent course. IMHO, one of the best anywhere.

Thank you very much gentlemen. I appreciate the your time. I think I'll go with YMCA because there are a lot of interesting french territories.
PB

Lots of agencies are affiliated with and/or have an equivalency table to CMAS as well for example BSAC allows you to buy a CMAS card with the equivalent qualification if needed and so do many others. YMCA as far as i know was/is one of these affiliates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom