Regulator Technician Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baroo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone have any information on where to get trained to work on/rebuild your own regulators? Thanks.

I'm located in the South Florida area.

I've posted this question here before. It seems the only way to get the training is to work for a LDS and have them sponsor you. Most manufacturers won't train the average diver.

What I would suggest, if you want to work on regulators, is to talk to your LDS about helping on the service bench. A lot of them would love the extra help to get caught up or stay ahead. In this manner, you can get your training with them as a sponsor and then be able to work on your own regs. The advantage of this is they already have the special tools required. Make sure the LDS carries the brand you own as they can only sponsor you for those brands.

Some shops offer an equipment specialty course, where you learn to work on your oun regs. I helped out at a local shop on weekends and was tought how to service regs and bc's and how to run their compressor and fill station. but didn't go to any manufacturers class.

Definitely talk to your local shop - they're usually the gateway to accessing manufacturer technician seminars. 2nd consideration is that even if you're trained to service regulators yourself, you may void your warranty or have trouble getting spare parts if you're not getting the service done through an authorized dealer. For example, I've taken the Aqualung technician's course: I know how to do it, I know where to buy the tools, but I can only get the parts kits through my LDS (an authorized dealer) and unless they do the service, the warranty is voided.

My own experience has been that the servicing courses are great to teach you more about the equipment operating principles and to learn some troubleshooting techniques, but it's easier (and cheaper) to find a good technician who you can trust to service your regs for you.

ScubaCarl:
Some shops offer an equipment specialty course, where you learn to work on your oun regs. I helped out at a local shop on weekends and was tought how to service regs and bc's and how to run their compressor and fill station. but didn't go to any manufacturers class.

The equipment specialty class doesn't teach you how to completely service your own equipment. It teaches you how to care for it, keep it clean and make some minor adjustments. You'll also learn a bit about equipment history and some things to look for when purchasing and the differences in types of gear..

Periodically the Poseidon rep put on a class at our LDS. They provide manuels for all thier regs and go through the complete teardown and rebuild procedure, as well as servicing. A written test is given at the end of the class and if you pass you are a certified technician for those particular regs. You then can service your own and not run into any warranty problem. It really is not that difficult. Most people go through it so they are able to handle any problems that may arise on a dive trip or in a remote location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom