Hell & high water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well, it's flood season again up here in the middle of the bald prairie. If the snow melts too quickly, there'll be much inconveniance.

I have a friend who lives in a house in an older area of the city, near the river, and just before that last stupidly big crest in 97, there was a knock on her door.

A city worker told her that he was there to tie a rope on to her front door knob, lead it into the basement, and tie the other end to the furnace.

When she asked why on earth he would want to do that, he told her, "So the diver will be able to turn off your furnace, if necessary."

I hope that's a joke. There's so many scammers out their preying on gullibility (especially of the elderly) that I could see someone trying that line as a means of getting inside the house.

derwoodwithasherwood:
I hope that's a joke. There's so many scammers out their preying on gullibility (especially of the elderly) that I could see someone trying that line as a means of getting inside the house.

Not. Authenticated city engineering guy, and he did in fact run a rope into the basement - which she had to live with for 2 months.

doole:
Not. Authenticated city engineering guy, and he did in fact run a rope into the basement - which she had to live with for 2 months.
That's a hell of a furnace. I suppose that would probably count as a warm water dive, if the furnace is still churning away down there under water, huh? So what does the diver wear, 3 mm?

Stirling:
That's a hell of a furnace. I suppose that would probably count as a warm water dive, if the furnace is still churning away down there under water, huh? So what does the diver wear, 3 mm?

Nah, DUI d/s with electronic circulative cooler. It's the latest thing.

<Twitch>

Holy overhead enviornments! That would deserve hazzard pay for sure. I'm just trying to picture all the stuff that would be floating in my basement Not to mention 2 partially filled oil tanks that would have floated and torn their lines free.

It had to be a hoax or confusion. If it meant that much to them they would have shut everything down on the spot. Not after there was an enviornmental incident. But I could be wrong.

Pete

Residing some 150 miles south of of Winnipeg, us crazy yanks just shut off the gas and electricity outside the flooded homes...
And as far as hazard pay.....After the water receeded ( and headed to Winnipeg)...
Houses with fuel oil furnaces got a visit from men in white suits....er... the ones with the mask...
Good news from here though, there isn't any snow left to send north..enjoy!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom