WHY Dive shops make you Feel GUILTY ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrstein

Reaction score
It seems with all the Good deals floating around Nowadays on-line to buy Gear its hard to Support Your local Dive shop.

I do enjoy my shop to a certain point Yes ......

However every time I am looking to buy something in the Shop, It seems that they Put the Full Press on me and I mean Hard.

I dont mind supporting my local dive shop However I dont want to feel Guilty if I look over there Items and Decide to Buy elsewhere and then when I dive with them I feel so Guilty.

WHY do Dive Shope"s DO THIS ???????

Any Inputt on this Matter.

Mrstein

Well... in the long run, making people feel guilty as a tactic to induce people to buy won't work. But if it's the only bullet in your gun, I guess you'll fire it.
BTW, not all dives shops do this.

Dont worry about it. The dollar speaks all languages. I like to support my LDS, but if I can get a non life support piece offline, and save money - I do it. However, when you go to your LDS, how about taking your own proverbial gun? Take info from Diveinn, leisurepro and others offline and ask how close they can get to this price. They cant always match it, but they will make an effort. Give it a try, you'll be surprised.

Mr. Stein,

Many dive shops are struggling. The only way they make money is by finding ways to separate you from yours. By making customers feel guilty for buying online, shop owners/managers are trying to convince the customer its his or her fault the shop is struggling. Everybody loves an underdog.

It's your money. Its your job to spend it wisely. Its the shop owners business. Its his responsibility to find ways to compete.

TwoBit

When I saw that my local dive shop's snorkels started at about $38 dollars and went up from there I shook my head and ordered what I needed on-line. Being loyal is one thing. Being stupid is something else. In most cases on-line ordering also saves alot of running around time.

Then again many dive shops can be competitive. When we found that our eight year old had outgrown his fins two days before leaving on a trip I did pick up a great pair at a dive shop at a very good price. Unfortunately, we were out visiting friends at the time and the dive show isn't "local" to us. If it was I would definately patronize it.

Rick

While I don't think that a shop should ever pressure a customer or make them feel guilty about not purchasing from them and I also agree that for a "brick and mortar" store to stay in business these days they are going to have to be in the same price ballpark as the online stores

The one thing that I would ask as shop owner is for customers to mentally keep a tally of some of the non tangible things that a they take from the store during a sale, and factor these into the equation when it comes to the decision on where to buy.

Did the shop allow you to take that regulator into the pool or ocean and try it before you bought it?

Did a salesman spend an hour with you, while you tried on different wetsuits to make sure you found one that fits perfectly?

Did the shop throw in a free refresher when you purchased your equipment?

Was there a free store organized dive scheduled the weekend after you bought your equipment, where an instructor was on hand to help you get your weighting just right.

Was there a dry suit course included with your dry suit?

Did a store employee spend an hour showing you how your new dive computer worked?

Did you meet a bunch of new dive buddies at a free store sponsored social event?

The list goes on and on.

These are all things that we do everyday that cost the shop money but give added value to the customer. I tend to think of it as a simple math equation. If the price is less online and the customer service in the store sucks than buy online, there is no reason to buy in the store. If however the price is $50 less online but the store spends hours with you answering your questions and taking you to the pool to try gear before you buy it, then buy it from the shop.

Paul

pgdive:
These are all things that we do everyday that cost the shop money but give added value to the customer. I tend to think of it as a simple math equation. If the price is less online and the customer service in the store sucks than buy online, there is no reason to buy in the store. If however the price is $50 less online but the store spends hours with you answering your questions and taking you to the pool to try gear before you buy it, then buy it from the shop.

Paul

I'm in total agreement with you Paul. I sometimes pay more than 100$ for a piece of gear at the LDS than I would online. I usually discuss the price with the shop owner
and he will try to be pretty close to the price that I would pay online. Sometimes that not possible for him and I understand his position, so we will come up with a deal we both can live with. On the other hand I been to his shop many times for an air or nitrox fill where he never charge for it.

My experience with LDS here and afar is that they are run by cavemen businessmen.
They go out of their way to make me feel unwelcome, are a tad rude, etc.

Irrespective of them selling dive equipment, toys or tires, they don't earn my business.

MoonWrasse:
My experience with LDS here and afar is that they are run by cavemen businessmen.
They go out of their way to make me feel unwelcome, are a tad rude, etc.

Irrespective of them selling dive equipment, toys or tires, they don't earn my business.

I feel sorry for you then. My LDS goes out of their way to make every customer feel special. They offer virtually every service that a diver could need, as well as top quality gear. Will you pay for what you get.... yes. But IMO, you also will get what you pay for, and sometimes more. It's always a great feeling to walk into the store and be greeted by name, and to chat about old friends and adventures we had 10, 15 years ago. That is what keeps me coming back, even though I may not actually need to buy anything for several years. This year I bought a new computer, my first purchase in about 5 years.

I've even bought underwater themed custom made gold and silver jewelry for my wife there, pieces that she always gets compliments on when we meet new divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom