Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Average Depth Diving?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Average Depth Diving?

As a back-up to using a computer and/or using tables while planning a dive does considering average depth work as well?

For example if while diving I figure that my average depth has been around 60 fsw and I've been down for less than 60 minutes then I should know that I haven't exceeded the NDL for the dive as a whole. Correct?

I could have exceeded 40 minutes at 70 fsw but if I balanced out the dive at 20 fsw for 19 minutes then for the dive as a whole I've met any obligations and could do a free ascent?

I'm just asking if using average depths on the fly while diving is a useful way to double check the computer or to dive without a computer just using a timer and depth gauge plus having knowledge of the tables in your head.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by recdiver
    As a back-up to using a computer and/or using tables while planning a dive does considering average depth work as well?

For example if while diving I figure that my average depth has been around 60 fsw and I've been down for less than 60 minutes then I should know that I haven't exceeded the NDL for the dive as a whole. Correct?

I could have exceeded 40 minutes at 70 fsw but if I balanced out the dive at 20 fsw for 19 minutes then for the dive as a whole I've met any obligations and could do a free ascent?

I'm just asking if using average depths on the fly while diving is a useful way to double check the computer or to dive without a computer just using a timer and depth gauge plus having knowledge of the tables in your head.

I'm not sure, but my gut feeling would be that its not ok. I think you saturate yourself exponetially quicker (with nitrogen) the deeper you go, so when you start guesstimating, it could lead to trouble, especially on deeper dives like around 100 fsw

DIR Group Leader

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    spend 45 mins at 30 fsw and then 15 mins at 130 fsw and if don't have this wrong, it averages out to 60 mins at 55 fsw...

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by recdiver

Im thinking this isnt a great idea. First of all if you dive at 70ft for 40 minutes you are at your NDL max. However if you already spent time at a shallower depth, then hit 70 ft where you spent 40 minutes, you would have a decompression obligation and unless you know your exact depth and times for the entire dive and can calculate your deco obligations on the fly you better have your computer. Personally i dive with my computer in gauge mode because I always plan the dive and dive the plan. In my opinion this makes you a more disciplined diver. However if im at a new site and just want to check it all out i will use my computer so that I dont have to stay on a strict profile.

CCR Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    A lot of people I know use the average depth method. However, they do so within reason and not using far-fetched methods.

For example, you are diving a wreck. The top of it is at 100 and the bottom is at 130. You enter, and you spend almost all time at 120. You see something interesting on the floor, and you briefly descend to check it out. It now turns out that you hit the 126 mark for about 30 seconds. In that case, many would just go with the 120 max depth.

If there is a large spread between the top and bottom of your dive, I wouldn't use this method.
    Howard Packer
    IANTD CCR Instructor
    Miami Beach, Florida USA
    CCRDiveTraining.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Averaging dive calculations = body recovery

So in your plan here do you take the deepest point dived, or are you trying to say the average between 100ft and 50ft is 75ft? If you do this will likley end up in a deco chamber soon. The biggest issue is that you absorb gasses at different rates depending on the depth. If the rate of absorption and offgassing was the same at all depths (which it is not) then you could use your new method. But until the laws of physics change be prepred to be crippled or dead.

But hey, if it works out for you I would love to hear about it.

Registered

seeking enlightenment

Dives
    500 - 999
    If you can work out a way to average half a dozen exponential functions in your head, one for each compartment, I'd say you're a genius.
    "We have not succeeded in answering all of your problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things."

Tech Diver

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by TimMorrison
    So in your plan here do you take the deepest point dived, or are you trying to say the average between 100ft and 50ft is 75ft? If you do this will likley end up in a deco chamber soon. The biggest issue is that you absorb gasses at different rates depending on the depth. If the rate of absorption and offgassing was the same at all depths (which it is not) then you could use your new method. But until the laws of physics change be prepred to be crippled or dead.

But hey, if it works out for you I would love to hear about it.
    We average our depth all the time, but we know how to do it. Becareful what you say here because there are people who have a lot more experience than you and who are doing successfully the things that you say will get someone bent.

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    The concept violates the basic rules of table use. The deepest point of the dive is the depth of the dive. The dive is treated as if the entire time of the dive was spent at the deepest depth. Your average depth method is a good way to get bent.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

Regular of the Pub

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    average depth is an advanced technique, and it is done succesfully by advanced
    divers all the time, who don't get bent.

you just need to know how to do it right.

(i am neither (a) an advanced diver; nor (b) know how to do it right.... i'm just saying)
    all your brain are belong to us

Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast