Will They Let Me Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luv2dive

Reaction score
I have my OWC and know the rec. diving limits are 60 feet. I'm wanting to go to the Gulf and do some wreck diving and bridge spans off Panama City FL. Do you have to have your AOW to do this?

L2D,

It depends on your level of experience, the boat captain, divemaster and the group of divers you are with. All this comes into play when making a decision on " To dive or not to dive, that is the question."

ID

Actualy, the limit for rec.diving is not 60 ft, it's 30M, about 90 ft, but to go deeper than 60 you need a deep dive specialty. Will they let you dive? depends on your experienced, and how they handle their buisness. Another question, though, is if you consider you skill good enough to go that deep. If you don't, skip it anyway, at least untill you take the specialty course.

You need a deep dive specialty for 60 feet?? I don't think so; guess it might depend on the agency.

From my understanding, PADI's guidelines are OW 60 feet, AOW, 100 feet. Anything over 100 feet, one should have the deep dive specialty, OR be with a qualified instructor.

However, I'm also told there is no such thing as "PADI Police" and most dive operators I've seen will take OW divers to just about any dive site they go to!

L2D,

One of the best suggestions offered to me was to continue diving within my current limitations, and then as soon as feasible (both dollar/tim and experience wise) expand my diving education to the next level.

Continued diving will reinforce your current skill set, and continued diving eductation will add new things to your "tool box". And the continuing education provides the opprotunity to expand your experience under the guidance of a qualified instructor, so you will be assured of getting the right info and skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom