Stolen drysuit in the PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otter-cat

Reaction score
Last weekend my drysuit was stolen from a dive resort in the Pacific Northwest;-0 .

I left it outside my room to dry overnight after a night dive, and when I got up in the morning it was gone. This occurred at a place where just about all the divers leave their suits outside, and nothing's been stolen before. (I've been to this resort many times, and it's a good place.) I guess it's just my bad luck to be the first victim there. I wrote this post for a few reasons:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to lock up a drysuit while it is left outside to dry? All the things I could think of seemed like they might damage the drysuit by crushing or stretching the neoprene. (For example, running a cable in one sleeve and out the other and then locking the cable around whatever the suit is hanging on/over.)

2. I am hoping that by telling others about my misfortune, they can be more aware/careful and possibly then avoid having the same thing happen to them,

and,

3. To ask that if anyone spots a used, blue & black neoprene O'Neill drysuit (Women's size 14) in a pawn shop or someplace like that in the PNW in the near future, please send me a PM letting me know.

One of the things I love about divers is that they all seem to really look out for one another, which makes me think that it wasn't a diver who stole my suit...or at least that is what I want to think. Then again, I'm not sure how a non-diver would have realized that my drysuit was worth more than all the rental wetsuits which were near it. Only my suit was taken. I don't really want to lock up my gear, but I also can't afford to have this happen again.

otter-cat:(

I wasn't sure where I should put this post, so if any moderators see this and think it belongs in another forum, please move it for me. Thanks.

Sorta makes ye wish ye'd pee'd in it, eh?
I doubt it'll show up down here in LA, but I'll spread the word.
Rick

Wow, that is very sad news. Was it one of the resorts on Hood Canal ( if so, did you let the local dive shops know about it )?

If you hang your drysuit on a broad hanger, you should be able to run a cable lock through the zipper, neck and around the rod you are hanging it from, but it's a shame you have to lock it up.

Was the suit still bright, or somewhat faded ( so I know what to look for at local dive sites )?

Boydski

I hang mine in the shower, using the shower head to put the hanger on. This is in my house, so I'm not sure if that would work in the resort.

Good luck. I went to a couple of pawn shops this past weekend looking for a ukelele and saw no dive gear to speak of (I live in Bellevue).

Gosh, I'm sorry this happened to you!

Gosh it is sad news. Spreading the word of a stolen drysuit here and at the various LDS that are in the area are pretty good steps. What about reporting it to the police?

Bboydski's advice of
If you hang your drysuit on a broad hanger, you should be able to run a cable lock through the zipper, neck and around the rod you are hanging it from, but it's a shame you have to lock it up.

sounds pretty good to me. Something to keep in mind.

I know that DUI has a policy that if you registered your suit with them and it gets stolen that they will return it to you if someone else trys to have the seals replaced.

Sorry to hear about your luck. Like many others, Jeff and I almost always leave our gear to dry on hotel room balconies and bathrooms. There is kind of a code among divers and who ever took your suit should be cast out of the community forever!

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

May want to check ebay and other on-line places that sells dive equipment. A buddy of mine found his dive computer someone lifted this way. (wasn't on ebay) The guy was very cooperative to give back the computer if no questions were asked. But be careful if you think you find your dry suit. Not everyone will be that cooperative.

Thanks all for your support. I'm definitely pretty bummed about the whole thing, but since I can't change the past, I'm trying not to let it get me down.

Yes, it was in fact on the Hood Canal. The neoprene color was still pretty bright, not too faded, although certainly not brand new. Thanks for the hanger idea Boydski, it sounds like a good one! Do you have any suggestions for locking it when there is no place to hang a hanger, so it gets draped over a railing or chair?

I did contact the police. I have not yet had a chance to contact the LDSs, because it happened on Sunday, and I have been at work on a boat (no phone) from before business hours until after they close every day so far this week. I'm going to try to call some tomorrow, since I won't be on the boat all day.

I feel the same way about the code among divers that you mentioned, KC_Scubabunny. In a lot of ways I don't want to lock my stuff up, because then other divers might see that I'm doing it, and start doing the same...and then the trust sort of erodes. I'm from NYC originally where nobody trusts anybody, and I hate that. But of course if divers are being preyed upon by theives (be they divers or non-divers) then what alternative is there?

Well, I have to go now to help out with a pool session for an OW class, but tomorrow I will try to post a picture of my drysuit here, if I can figure out how.

Thanks again everyone for your sympathies. It makes me feel a lot better to know that I am part of a community of people who care.

otter-cat:)

Originally posted by otter-cat
Do you have any suggestions for locking it when there is no place to hang a hanger, so it gets draped over a railing or chair?

I suppose you could still use a long cable lock through the zipper and neck, then around the railing. The cable might have to be a little longer and you might have to loop it around the rail ( like a figure 8). It's still a shame that you have to lock it. You might ask the resorts if they have a secure room where you can hang your suit. Many of the hotels I stay at in B.C. ( that cater to divers ) actually have a drying room.

If you don't get a chance to call the local dive shops, Hoodsport N Dive is pretty good about answering email at

Hoodsport N Dive

Good Luck, and I will keep my eyes open for your suit!

Boydski

I'm sorry and I hope that I dont offend anyone here, but I dont care what anyone thinks I lock everything up. I work hard for what I own and you never know who is watching you, or following you just so they can grab your stuff. Im not the type that is alway looking over my shoulder, but its better safe than sorry.

This is unrelated because its not scuba gear but a friend of while in Laughlin for the river run had his harley stolen. $25000 worth and it was locked. But mine which was cabled to another was ok.

Lock it up, if you hert someones fealings it possible that its the theafs fealings that were hert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom