PADI vs NAUI certifications, and onto AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I got NAUI certified a couple of years ago. While going through the certification, the shop (Beaches resort in Jamaica) had both NAUI and PADI. Not knowing a lot at the time, it was because the instructor/DM I had at the time was NAUI, so I went with the NAUI certification.

I had read the description on both PADI and NAUI on their web sites, but would like to know what the differences really are between their certifications. Also, to go to the next level for Advanced OW certification, what are the differences?

Thanks a lot.

cavegirl:
Hi.

I had read the description on both PADI and NAUI on their web sites, but would like to know what the differences really are between their certifications. Also, to go to the next level for Advanced OW certification, what are the differences?

In my opinion, the biggest difference is actually in the instructor you have, not whether it is PADI or NAUI. I am currently certified by both, and I have seen good and bad divers certified by both. The difference has been in the quality of the instructor they have had. And, of course, in how well they listened to the instructor!

I would recommend you base you decision on the instructors involved, not the organization.

Good luck!

Ken

Three things -
First,
an instructor,
Second,
the instructor, and
Third,
your instructor

NAUI has 6 dives instead of 5 for the PADI AOW and better academics.

If you are interested, I can send you the differences in the OW courses.

Walter, could you PM me the differences. I've been asked several times about the differences.

While I know NAUI standards well, I've been unable to find published PADI standards to do a side by side comparision.

Hmm, a few others are interested in knowing the difference.

In NAUI, there is the Scuba Diver certification and AOW. For PADI there is Scuba Diver and Open Water, and then AOW. It appears the NAUI Scuba Diver certification is the same as the PADI OW certification and the PADI Scuba is an entry-level before the OW. I believe that's why last time I was told by one shop (who did not know NAUI, and must have thought the NAUI Scuba certification is same as PADI Scuba) I cannot go to deep dive whereas another one had no problem.

Yes, from the web site NAUI AOW needs 6 dives vs 5 for PADI AOW. But would appreciate knowing more of the differences.

I'm glad to see that other hit the most important difference regardless of any agency affiliation, the instructor. The biggest difference that I hear of from the NAUI facilities and a University that has a dive program (NAUI), is that NAUI allows academic freedom. Supposedly the instructors can add what they want on top of the basic requirements to help better the diver. From what i've heard PADI and others have strict teaching rules that don't allow such freedom. Thats the only big difference that I have heard of. Take it for what its worth. Also I heard that PADI rules do not allow you to use the word die, or death during a class. I don't want to spark a flame session here so take it for what its worth. I am by no means an authority on any of this stuff. This is just what I have heard through the grape vine.

The biggest thing I always hear, is that PADI minimum standards are well below NAUI's. What I'm interested in, are the specific differences.

Back
Top Bottom