Casual watch depth recorder? (aka cheap dive computer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimchim

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I just found this board and lurked a bit.

I'm a casual vacation diver with just PADI OW c-card. I always go with tours which provide all equipment (I only own my own corrective mask and a shorty). I'm looking for a watch that has a depth meter and can record the depth as a function of time for about $100 or less. This will NOT be a subsitute dive computer. This is more so I can enjoy my dive as usual and after it's done my watch will have the bottom times recorded for my own historical info. It'd be a bonus if I can download this data to a computer. This would not be a primary tool for figuring out N levels.

So far, I've only found the Timex Helix Dive watch for $80. There's a Casio one but it seems to only have depth meter but no recording. I wish I could splurge on a Suunto.

Or should I just go for a real dive computer? (used for < $200?)

Chimchim,
1. Dive computers are made for diving. They all contain algorithms based on standard dive tables. Computers LOG data – depth, time, ascent rates, etc.. A good dive computer will also log your surface interval, show you your ‘calculated ‘ nitrogen absorption, and let you download all the dive info into a computer for an electronic dive log. Most watches will tell you the depth and time. I use a computer (hate to dive without one), and a dive watch – the dive watch is only to tell me max depth and bottom time (to use with the tables) if the computer fails.
2. Things to look at: How many dive profile parameters will the watch capture? (My fairly expensive one only does max depth and BT) How many dives can it record? Can it be downloaded into a computer? Is it actually rated for scuba diving? (Many are not…)
3. Unless you are using a computer, always use your depth gauge for calculating depth. The watch is a good backup, but unless you spend big $$, I would use the depth gauge for table calculations.

I don’t mean this to sound so much like a push for computers – they are great, but you need to use them like any other tool – I just wanted to make the point that an inexpensive dive watch is not a substitute for the dive planning skills you learned in your OW classes.

Happy Diving!

I actually use two computers. I have one built into my console and another one in the pocket of my BC that I picked up on Ebay for about $100. Dive computers can be found for under $100 on Ebay, but you have to be patient and persistant. It took me over a month of constant searching and bidding before I was successful.

But to answer your original question, the Helix is a pretty good device. I know a couple of divers who use it as a back-up to their primary dive computers. I.E. if their computer fails then they at least have max depth and bottom time and can revert to the RDP (tables).

If all you do is vacation diving, then I would suggest that you check with the shop that you are renting your equipment from, as most shops now also rent dive computers. But, if you do decide to got this route, be careful not all computers work in the same way. Be sure that you learn how to fully operate the computer BEFORE going in the water with it. Especially in decompression mode, just in case you mistakenly blow your NDL. Because if you do not know how to properly use a computer, then all you have is a VERY expensive bottom timer.

And like Diversion said: "There is no substitute for proper dive planning."

P.S. Welcome to the board....

Hi there.

If you can wait 'til you get home to see the historical data, you might look into something like this data logger:

http://www.reefnet.ca/products/sensus/index.asp

However, I would also recommend that you buy a regular computer. Even if you plan your dives with the tables, it's likely that the Dive Master is not leading you on a 'square profile' dive. A computer will track your exact profile and help keep you safe.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm sort of a gadget geek so I have no problem reading instructions before being "in the field".

Turns out, Walmart STILL has the Helix DM's, but on the clearance shelves (as of today, May 11, 2005). There were 4 to choose from, all blue (3 with orange buttons, 1 with white... I chose white). I got it for $20. There were NO markings at all on the case that this even had a depth meter. It just said water resistant. No wonder these are discontinued... no one knew about em! I had to open the case and read the back which had DEPTH stamped on the back. At $20, what a find!

Anyways, I will still be getting a computer eventually. The tours I go on are usually ridiculously conservative; the dive masters usually have the group come us while I still have 1300 psi of air, 2nd tank is usually a good hour or two after the last, no go if you've got a flight 24 hrs later, etc.

Back
Top Bottom