What's between PADI Nitrox Discovery and certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavegirl

Registered
Reaction score
In another thread I asked about PADI e-learning on Nitrox. Didn't know it will evoke the debates on teaching.

The PADI e-learning Discovery Nitrox is fairly new and seems some PADI shops are not familiar with it. For those who know, if somone finishes the PADI e-leanring on Discovery Nitrox, then what else (beyond the 2 Nitrox dives, and test) what else is needed to get the PADI Nitrox certification?

Thanks a lot.

cavegirl:
The PADI e-learning Discovery Nitrox is fairly new and seems some PADI shops are not familiar with it. For those who know, if somone finishes the PADI e-leanring on Discovery Nitrox, then what else (beyond the 2 Nitrox dives, and test) what else is needed to get the PADI Nitrox certification?
My understanding is that you'd need to get into a shop for the exam, as well as to learn how to analyze what O2 content is in a tank. VERY important!

Then going from Discovery Enriched Air to Enriched Air is just the two dives and paying an extra $25 for another card plus whatever the dives themselves cost.

I said this in another thread but its worth repeating. The purpose of the two dives isn't the dives themselves. Its being able to plan a dive with the right MOD, figure the right EAN content for that MOD, order the right gas, be able to analyze/verify/label that gas, and then dive the plan.

StSomewhere:
My understanding is that you'd need to get into a shop for the exam, as well as to learn how to analyze what O2 content is in a tank. VERY important!

Then going from Discovery Enriched Air to Enriched Air is just the two dives and paying an extra $25 for another card plus whatever the dives themselves cost.

I said this in another thread but its worth repeating. The purpose of the two dives isn't the dives themselves. Its being able to plan a dive with the right MOD, figure the right EAN content for that MOD, order the right gas, be able to analyze/verify/label that gas, and then dive the plan.

When I tried to sign up for the PADI e-learning Nitrox Discovery course, it first asked me to be affiliated with a LDS. After completing the on-line portion of the course, will still need to go to this shop to finish up the review with them. This will mean I will have to pay the LDS, to "finish up".

Well, I was planning to do the AOW + Nitrox later in the summer when I am on vacation in warm waters. The intention to do the on-line course was to learn as much materials beforehand, to then save both time and maybe some cost.

But if I have to be affliated with a LDS and pay to finish there, it won't save money when I then go for the combined AOW and Nitrox certification.

It may not save on cost to do this on-line training, if I use the dive shop at vacation to "finish up" the on-line Discovery Nitrox then "upgrade" to the Nitrox certification while doing AOW. The only thing it may save is the class time while at vacation location.

The class time is not that much - 2 to 3 hours - not a huge investment and you get that extra face time to discuss any areas that you may find difficult or confusing. If you think about it, just showing up to take an exam, analyze the gas, and do a couple of dives, you are shortchanging yourself for what probably only amounts to a difference of a few dollars - and maybe not even that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom