Laguna Beach Resort in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a belated thread on our 3/11-18/06 report to Laguna Beach on Utila. This was our (wife and I) first dive trip and first diving outside of the lakes in AZ. Prior to the trip we only have around 10 dives post cert. I could go on all day about the service we received at the resort. Luciano and Romina, the resort managers, have things running very smoothly and attended to anything we needed-including extra homemade key lime and coconut creme pie (and flan and tres leches cake).

We had 4 or 6, including us, on our dive boat all week (thanks to the Lunar Fins and Sterling Silver Scuba dive clubs who filled up the other 2 boats) and enjoyed all the extra space and personal interaction with Janie our DM and John our Capt. We made sure Janie knew of our inexperience before hitting the water and she was more than happy to assist in anyway. She made a habit of pointing out lots of small critters for photos and being patient with my picture taking. John did an excellent job of finding whale sharks, droping us right next to them and helping me score some great underwater clips.

I can't compare the diving to other spots around the world, but the diving on the island had it's own charm. The small critters were amazing, pipefish, sea slugs, tongues, etc. were abundant and became easier to spot as the week went on. We also saw lots of eels, green, spotted, golden tail, lots of burrfish/puffers, lots of turtles, including one chowing down on some coral. Saw some barracuda, lots of trumpetfish, juvenile drums, lobsters, and much more I can't remember and most of the veteran divers have probably all seen many times. The highlight of the week was being in the water with the whale sharks. I swam with them, have pictures and video of them and still can't quite comprehend just how big they were. We also got to jump in with a few dolphins, although they didn't stick around too long.

I'll keep it short, but if anyone wants any more info on Laguna Beach please PM me. I could go on and on about the people on the island, how you should spend a day exploring the downtown, going to Pigeon Cay, horseback riding, etc. etc..

-Booth

And just a side note... I'd like to say that taking a camera diving is a little tricky for the first dive or so, but it sure as heck helped my bouyancy skill get better quickly. I was into topside photos before diving and figured I might as well continue underwater. I'd read on SB you should hold of with the camera until you gained experience diving. I guess it's a personal thing, but I would have to disagree. My breathing got better, my bouancy got better and by the second day my pictures got a lot better... just my $.02 Plus without the camera I wouldn't have a 2 minute video of a whale shark !!!

Hey, Booth,

Could you post some of your whale shark snip? I would like to see it....I know some of the other Lunarfins would like to see it also. It was good meeting you there. I concur about the resort and management.

Regards,

Hey Cuda- if you get that clip, send it over to me. I still can't believe those wiley devils waited for us to leave to make their appearance! Guesss I gotta go back now.....
Hey Booth, Did Captain John take you over to his island for Susan's "Fish-Burgers"? Yum!

He sure did.... And sorry about the delay in posting the clips, they will be up by this weekend at the latest... we're experiencing some technical difficulties!

Thanks booth, we were there right before you and the wale sharks were a no show. It'll e great to see them after all.

Laguna Beach Resort: Utila Honduras.
It stands out and is accounted as one of the best. Booth22, Susan6868 and everyone else that has the fortune to visit there can attest to that.
LBR has taken the next level out and put in there own. The Fine Living Network could do a weeklong show on LBR.
As many have explained the property has spared no expense in producing some of the best that diving has to offer out of the water. While expense is a concern on such a small Island the return that comes from the careful planning and well executed development is ten fold. Many of the guests there during our visit had been there on average 5 out the ten years it has been open. They were full and while the number of guests is not important what is: You never were left for wanting of anything. From the beds to the staff my wife could find nothing to express concern over. This is a major Statement coming from Her; some could call her a clean freak.
The staff presents one of the major problems when leaving, you just do NOT want to and while healthy percent of the cost of the trip is a good way to figure a tip it is way short of what they deserve. Pictures and video clips will follow shortly.

When were you there John? And is that Brock in the picture?

That is indeeed Brock. Fresh with a nice hair cut. Last week of March and first few days in April.

Finally posted a few pics from our trip in my gallery .... I'll be getting more eventually

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom