Renting equipment in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflybldr

Reaction score
Has anyone rented equipment at Anthony's Key in Roatan? My girlfriend and her son have decided to come to Roatan with my son and I in August. Her son will do his open water dives there and she is doing a refresher. They have ZERO equipment. I am telling her that she has to buy masks, fins, snorkels, exposure skins/suits, but now for the hard part. I have no idea what quality equipment is available to rent in Anthony's Key, or Roatan in general.

She can't afford to buy 2x BC,Reg,Computer ...

Thanks in adavance for the help

I had some friends rent some last Feb. Good stuff and decent prices. But nothing like your own of course.

I'm taking her to the LDS this morning to get her a quote for a full package.

She loves to point out that my son and I had all of our own stuff on our open water dives. (but that's a whole nuther thread)

I am sure the equipment will be fine. Anthony's Key is a highly respected resort with a complete dive shop and many dive boats. Mask, fins and snorkels would be a good way to go and if you have not checked out the prices at http://www.leisurepro.com I suggest you do. I have bought many times through them and have always been pleased. Good luck and have a great trip.

Richard

Have them buy a Good Mask and Fines - Don't know what you need a snorkel for
I would recemend they buy some Lycra Skins - 45 bucks from Scub Toys Water temps going to be 85+ and Air temp will be plenty warm...........

I hate to see new divers waste money on equipment before they know what kind of diving they are going to be doing later...........

Sorry, I have read too many stories about bad retnal gear, not just from other places but within the USA as well. One emergency ascent from 60 feet because of a failed reg can ruin your whole day. I say get your regs, mask and fins as a minimum and carry them with you. Rent wetsuits, tanks and weight belts. With SARS and other respiratory issues, do you really want to be sucking on a reg sucked on by dozens of others from all over the world? I carry a BCD as well, a stuck fill or jammed dump valve can ruin your whole day (not to mention your life.)

This is life support equipment...do you trust the dive ops with your life?

Mike

mikerault:
Sorry, I have read too many stories about bad retnal gear, not just from other places but within the USA as well.

Reading and the internet is a volume of information, but I agree with those above... AKR is a world class operation- their rental gear will be fine.

And Howie- I kind of agree with you: if someone doesn't know what a snorkel is for, they'd probably drown in any circumstance that they really needed to use it in, anyway.

And I just laughed out loud at that Clutch Cargo avatar. Boy- there's an oldie. Where's Diver Dan?

Just got back yesterday from AKR. Their rental gear is all Scubapro, in fairly good shape. The gear is serviced regularily, and I saw no instances of major malfunctions during my stay. The only thing a diver would really need is a mask, really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom