Roatan West End, Native Son's, Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin S.

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm writing this as an FYI for anyone thinking of going to Roatan for diving. I've been going to Roatan since 1998. My friend introduced me to it. He has been diving all over the world, and chose this place for his honeymoon. During his honeymoon, he and his new wife purchased two plots of land in Sandy Bay...one on the water, and one across the road. So every year he traveled down there to work on his property and pay his taxes. In 98, I started joining him.

It was slightly different then. It was not on any Cruise line port of call yet, and there were not many, if at all, direct jet liner flights. One had to take TACA airlines through Belize or San Pedro Sula, and then hop on a small "interesting" aircraft. If one started too late in the day, you might not make it as the airport didn't have runway lights. I'm not sure that it does now either, but it might as US carriers have now started to fly there.

I won't go into details about the island. You can read that anywhere. Yes, there is the Iguana farm for anyone who won't have nightmares about 50 iguana’s climbing up each others backs to get to a pile of lettuce. And there is "Fantasy Island", one of the all-inclusive resorts on the south side of the island, with private beach (with trucked in or what seems to be fake sand) in its lagoon. It's pricier, quiet, and appears to be cleaner than other places, but the ocean is rougher there. Plus, there doesn't appear to be much nightlife. For those that are fearful of anything but "Americanized" tourism (home in a bottle), than this might be for you...for that matter, you might want to skip Roatan and go to Hawaii or the Cancun strip (ha ha).

No, the West End is the place to be. There is one road that runs along the length of the long skinny island, and it dead-ends at a T intersection at the West End. You can go right or you can go left. If you go 50' forward, you're in the water. Either way, it's the right choice. This small village is full of nice people, natives, and visitors from all over the world. Some come for 2 wks and stay for 12 months.

So my friend Danny befriended a native islander who worked in Anthony's Key Resort. His name is Alvin. Alvin started his own company, Native Son's, around 97 (http://www.nativesonsroatan.com/). He was situated on his sisters property, at the south side of West end...dead end of the road to be precise, the Mermaid Cabins. Those earlier years we stayed there. Except for the sand fleas and NoSeeUms, it was nice, quiet, and you were 20' from the dive shop and 100' from the dive boat and beach. I got my certification there with his future wife, Mish. She's from England, and they have since been married, had a child, and run Chili's Hotel resort, on the north side of West End (right at T), where Native Son's is now located. (Come to T at West end, turn right, go about 200 feet on right.

I've heard of many people that have had rushed experiences with dive instructors. But Alvin and Mish are great. Not only are they extremely patient, but they are very safe. Alvin has spent countless hours in the decompression chamber with young local lobster gatherers, and he knows the risks, and what is required to avoid them. Safety is always on his mind. While on one dive, he was instructing a newcomer. I had just completed my instruction and was with another dive master at under 80'. He was up near the boat at about 30'. My dive master lost track of me around a ship. I was fine, I was just 10' above her, tracking their moves. I saw her start back for me, and I had to go back down to let her know I was above her. Problem solved. However, Alvin was not very happy with her, and saw what had transpired from above. He lectured her about the need to look all around, including upwards. The fact that he knew where all of his divers were impressed me. He's always in the back, moving very slowly, with his 4lbs of weight, watching us. He always has the most air left over when we surface as well. He knows his limits, and keeps us well above them. Plus, while other dive shops push it with 3-4 dives per day, Alvin keeps it to 2, with an occasional night dive.

Yes, not only do I trust this guy with my life, but these two people are just great people to know. I highly recommend using

My friend Danny has since sold his beachfront property (sniff sniff), but we still go down and dive annually. April is our next trip, and I'm looking forward to taking my daughter there some day.

Oh yeah, the food, especially the fish is excellent!

I've heard good things about Native Sons as well. The only thing I don't understand in your post is:

Plus, while other dive shops push it with 3-4 dives per day, Alvin keeps it to 2, with an occasional night dive.

Why do you consider 3 -4 dives per day pushing it? Many divers can fit 6 dives in per day. My wife and I try to get 3 in per day, and on a particularly good day we will do more. If your computer / tables don't say it's pushing it, why else would it be so?

undefined:
The only thing I don't understand in your post is:

Not all locations or operations are perfect for everyone.

Some folks want a vacation with some diving, some want a dive vacation. Neither is "correct", but one version (or the other) is ideal.

It depends on the diver. Kevin's first post on SCUBABoard is a great example of how to have a leisurely and wonderful dive experience at one of the several good day dive ops on the West end.

If I took my fellow divers on a trip that offered less than 4 included dives and at least one night dive each and every night... my butt would be in a bind.

Night life... to some... doesn't involve beer and loud music. It might mean Octopus, Squid, and things that go bump in the night!

There are options for all!

N.B.: The Cruise ships have been docking in Roatan prior to 1998.

I think you just proved my point. Not everyone wants/needs 4 or more dives per day, but offering more than two dives per day cannot be considered a bad thing so long as the DM/Instructors are on the dives are not pushing their NDL. If Native Sons cannot offer more than two dives per day, I have to wonder how their staff situation looks.

undefined:
I have to wonder how their staff situation looks.

It might have something to do with guests being able to hear their DM's being lectured by the boss.... even if the incident occured below that "limit" of 60 feet that we hear about.

At Instructor School, in order to avoid staff turnover or rebellion- you are taught to only crucify out of earshot of the guests.

You're never going to let me live down the 60fsw limit thing, eh? :)

Like I said - I've heard good things about Native Sons, but I don't like their little boats no matter how fast they are. I'll dive off a small boat if forced to, but give me a big boat where I can stretch out any day. (That and no one complains when you are at the back of the big boat enjoying a smoke during the SI).

To illustrate my point, here are two photos (one from last year, one from this year). The first photo is Bottom Time, the Coconut Tree Divers boat that I've been out on. If memory serves it has room for something like 24 or 30 tanks (someone correct me). Rinse tank for my camera, plenty of seating room, etc.

(Sorry for the poor shot)
IMG_00431.JPG

The next one is of one of the Native Sons boats. They are fast (at least they seemed quite fast when watching them head to a site), but quite a bit smaller.

p1090538.jpg

Personally, I'm spoiled and like a big boat with room to move around.

We dove Roatan West End with Native Sons over Christmas. My wife, and sons did their Open Water Course, one did the Advanced Course. Things worked, wonderful staff. Best thing is the marine reserve is so close, just outside the bay. Stayed at Arco Posada Iris next door, best restaurant Argentinian out front. Not fancy, but class outfit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom