Roatan - Infinity Bay Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe Seven

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has been to the new Infinity Bay Resort.

It looks pretty posh, possibly a new competitor to Anthony's Key Resort? What's the dive staff like?

Cheers,

Joe

From reading their website, it looks like they will run you over to West Bay where you will tag up with an existing dive operation.

At $1300 to $1500 per person, minimum 2 pax, it offers 3 daily one tank boat dives... which, if you really wanted to dive a lot- this place wouldn't be the ideal venue. If you want maximum diving, look for "two tank boat dives". Resorts that offer them usually do one morning and one afternoon, and when you do the math, if you want to do two a day and relax- you can pick either a.m. or p.m.

With Infinity Bay's dive system (utilizing a day dive op nearby), if you want to only do two and then hang out in your exotic room and get a mud massage, it will be six hours out of your day.

For their $1000 package, you could book the diving on your own at $25 a tank. At that rate, if you actually managed to get in that three a day, plus two night dives during the week, that would come pretty close to $1500.

This is not the kind of place for stinky rubber suited divers. Not a bad thing, but just so you should know. Competition for AKR? No, AKR is still pretty much so a diver's resort, although they have tried to distance themselves from the riff-raff like me who want their 5x a day and some hot chow (CoCoView types). They have done this by raising their prices. They still do 2 tank boat dives but their main source of income is the Pod People who come to pester Flipper. That gravy train is about to end with the Mahogany Bay development in Dixon Cove- the new Cruise Ship Port, sometime in the next decade plus or minus. They will then have a Canned Dolphin Show within waddling distance of the gang plank.

I'm sure that someday, Infinity Bay will want their own first rate, concierge style, waitstaff dive service, but for now, you will be diving the West Bay area and sleeping on 800 count cotton sheets.

Infinity Bay is "affordable" but, take a gander at this: Lawson Rock (they are up and running, we have been in them all- I have no idea why there are no photos) Note the in-suite waterfall pools that go from the inside to the patio.

That ought to impress her :wink:

Thanks RoatanMan. I gathered that it wasn't for hardcore divers... seems to emphasize more of a Spa retreat with some diving thrown in.

When you say you like to do 5x dives a day, do you mean 1 or 2 tank?

Thanks RoatanMan. I gathered that it wasn't for hardcore divers... seems to emphasize more of a Spa retreat with some diving thrown in.

When you say you like to do 5x dives a day, do you mean 1 or 2 tank?

I meant 5 tanks per day.

CCV is the only Roatan resort that still runs morning and afternoon boats that are set up for dropping you in twice on the same outing. So, at 8:30 and 2:00 you take a short boat ride and log two dives each time. That's four by 4:30 pm. After dinner, most folks do the shore dive as the night dive, but once a week people will pay good money for a boat night dive. That, I never understood when it's all for free right at your cabana steps.

The single tank boat dive is a factor of a couple of reasons... either a result of European sensibilities- they like to vacation with some diving as a general rule. This can also arise from boats being too small to accommodate multiple tanks, or possibly an unexpected glut of divers.

When you see this one tank thing, quite often the dive op will run a given boat on three trips out as a minimum, guests have to sign up on a board in advance for the dive slots they want. This is done at Club Med for instance.

I recently dove off of a liveabaord that catered to Germans. They were absolutely shocked that my group wanted four a day plus a night dive. Back from the Philippines, on a ten day trip, only me and one other guy (out of a group of 30) managed to get every dive, every day. A lot of transferring back and forth from boat to shore, waiting 45 minutes dripping wet and reboarding. It all depends on the operation, but at 9 pm every night, we would flop into bed exhausted, but having logged 5 a day... and it was well worth it!

On Roatan, this always reminds me of the AI versus AlaCarte quandry. Math shows that if you came to dive and want more than 2x $25 tanks a day, go AI. Otherwise, relax... have a beer- buy a tank manana and do some divin', enjoy the sunshine.

There is nothing wrong with a Spa Resort vacation. I think (read as: my wide says) we may spend some time at one of these on Roatan, but it will be after a full week of 5x a day first!

^haha... I guess not. But I think 3 tanks a day would be adequate for me. I'm still a novice (13 logged dives, all in Belize). But maybe after my stay on Roatan I'll be fiending for 5+. :)

RoatanMan... I like the idea of doing a mixed AI/AlaCarte vacation. Maybe 7 days AI, 5 days at a little independent place near west bay or west end. I like to see both grit and grandeur. :wink:

My first dive trip was to the Keys

2 tanks a day - I was so tired I had to take an afternoon nap.

Now if I do four a day I wonder what are we goofing off for lets dive!

Hi Joe

I was just in Roatan three weeks ago, almost next door at Paradise Beach. Infinity is definitely the most posh place on the whole beach strip, and by a large factor. Anthony's Key is about a mile from the beach, with nothing around it (but a nice view down to the water). Next in line would be the Maya.

They don't have a dive shop on site, but you trip over them as you go along the beach! We dove with Bananarama (classy name) and were very satisfied. They have two good boats which run in and out all day. Almost all of the dives are right off the shore, so you go in and out. 8, 10 and 2 were the regular times, and then their night dive was right off the shore. We did our AOW and Nitrox for $360 all in, and our DM Sophie was fantastic. I believe they were the best operation on the West Bay beach ... from here you need to go into West End, which is a 10 minute water taxi away. But why do that when the reef is literally right in front of you?

Best dives were El Aguila, a wreck that was guarded by a very confident green moray, and the lighthouse point drift. Lots of great swim-thrus, a good workout on your bouyancy skills. I don't know if they have packages, per say, it's more of a sliding scale for a-la-carte. I think from 10 dives and up its under $25 a pop, which is pretty amazing for the Caribbean.

I loved it and will definitely be going back..the place has a great rhythm. The only minus is the one day when there are two cruise ships at the island, and the hordes invade *your* beach. The food at all of the restaurants along the beach and in town was fantastic ... great fresh seafood, beers and tip for under $20.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Gotta be breif because I'm at work here, but wanted to drop a few words regarding Infinity Bay.

We stayed there for 2 nights right after spending a week at Anthony's Key. Our 2 days at this new, posh resort were filled with conversation about AKR, and how we'd rather be back there! Infinity Bay is not for divers. They know little about diving, but will send you to Bananarama if that's what you're into. Infinity Bay is also not for those who dislike cold, vulgar, excessive and uncomfortable environments. The one thing the place has going for it is the beach. It's the end strip of west bay beach, one of the finest sections. (AKR actually sold it to them a few years ago).

They have just begun developing "phase 2" of this concrete monster, so let me add "hammering" and "drilling" to that dislike list above.

But hey, and the end of the day, it's still a resort on Roatan. I'd be there hangin' out on the beach right now if could be!!! :)

So just a question in regards to the Infinity Resort. Is it worthwhile to book the dives through them or find a nearby dive operation? Are the dive ops on that end reputable or should I travel outside the west bay beach??
I have to travel w/wife (non-diver) and young child. I have to cater to them while vacationing. It is only fair!! This would be my first vacation there and would not know how it compares to Coz or Turks & Caicos??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom