best time of year for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rufous

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are hoping to go to Roatan this year for some scuba diving. It will be our first trip to Roatan. We hope to use frequent flier miles for the airfare. I realize that to utilize our frequent flier miles we will not likely be able to fly in March and probably not even in April. Are the diving conditions pretty much the same March through July? To my thinking the issues would be the quantity and frequency of the sand fleas, the visibility, the sea condition as regards choppy waves or rough seas and hurricane type weather and basic air temperature and humidity. Having never been there I do not know how much variability there is in those factors. Thanks for the advice, Brian.

I think April, May, June are best. Why:

-Fewer people on the dive boats and crowding the town.
-Cooler (slightly) than July, August, September, October
-Little rain, and calmer seas (on the North side at least) than November December January
-The cool water temps over winter and rougher waters of November December January have minimized the Algae cover.
- Corals are at their most colorful having not suffered the warm waters and algae growth of summer.

Good advice from Will above, the second quarter of the year is ideal.

More importantly... what of the types of critters that you will likely see? Remember- this is Nursery Time in the western Caribbean. Nurseries are found in the calm protected and shallow reefs that are bathed in Sun light.

As much as Will loves his "North Side", remember that the real treasures of Roatan are the denizens of the South Side. Nowhere else in the Mar Caribe can you find this concentration.

Do some :search: here, but understand that the geographical barrier presented by the island causes the South side to be shallow, lush and full of creatures in the nursery stage... especially at that time of year.

Diving on the South side is "very advanced". No- not in terms of technical diving or currents... To get any enjoyment out of it you must have great buoyancy skills and excellent observational abilities. Follow your DM closely, take a flashlight and be very amazed. Seahorses and their elusive cousins, the Pipefish are seen on almost every dive.

I see by your profile that you also hunt. Your keen eye will be of benefit.

The North side (aka West) is a delight as well, but it is more geared towards the common larger creatures that used to be endemic to the Caribbean. With the N/W side's enhanced environment, due to the Marine Park's efforts, any diver can spot a Lobster, a Grouper, and so on. It is also co-located with on-shore party central, the West End.

I don't work for a South side (or any) operation, I don't even live on Roatan any longer. But when I return, well... I've already seen a hundred Groupers. I go for the rare stuff.

Thanks guys for your comments. Yes I do hunt and in fact got drawn for a spring bear tag for Oregon after 4 years of applying. That hunt runs April and May so going to Roatan would have to be probably in latter June. We would most likely stay and dive with Sueno del Mar. I am not sure where they do most of their dives but it sounds like they mostly go on the west side. Can anyone confirm that for me? Thanks, Brian.

I sure wish my DM found me a few more seahorses. And, what's a pipefish? Never saw one there - DM never even mentioned one. I guess I had a dud...

I sure wish my DM found me a few more seahorses. And, what's a pipefish? Never saw one there - DM never even mentioned one. I guess I had a dud...

Here is a picture of one from the weekly log on the Dockside Dive Center (located at CoCoView) weekly log from the week before last. I got to see three of them last time I was there, and so many seahorses I almost got tired of them. I found four myself.Dockside Dive Center Log

Later, Hawk.

good lord, i can't wait!!!!!!
we booked CCV for the first week in June... by chance, only....
I LOVE CRITTERS!!!!

Best time to dive???

What time is it right now?

Been twice May and October

The third trip will be in May!

Wife and I are planning a trip to somewhere the end of Oct into Nov. What should we expect for weather if we decide Roatan?

Back
Top Bottom