Diving Roatan - best time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tannika

New
Reaction score
I'm planning to go to Roatan this year, possibly in June or July. Last time I went was during the month of September. It was hot but the diving was fantastic. What are the conditions (surface temps & vis) like in June/July? Thanks.

spent 10 days down there in July a few years back. Storms brought in some chop on a few occations. Vis was great. Just go, bring a shorty.

A lot of people ask "how will the weather be in Roatan...."

There's no real way to know, other than to look outside. Here's a daytime webcam: CoCoView's Web Cams

We do have a WEATHER LOG that all has a lot of spectacular weekly photos taken in the shallow, lush walls of the South Side.

Remember that these reports are taken from the South side. The weather there is always breezy- this makes life tough for the sand flies and bugs! You can pretty much so always count on 1-2 foot seas, but then again- that's why CCV boats are shaped and designed the way they are. Diving almost never gets shut down, as it is often on the North side. So... when you see reports of high winds and low wave height, you can pretty well imagine that the North side is once again in rough shape.

Okay, here's how to do some historical research....

Dockside Dive Center posts a weekly log every Friday... here's to one that was posted last: Dockside Dive Center Log

You can use the button and page backward to See Previous Weeks, but there is a faster method.

Look at how the preceding pages are encoded as web sites. Here's one example:

Dockside Dive Center Log 022908

When current weeks are archived, they are tagged with a date code denoting the Friday that they were first written, in the case above, it would be Feb 29, 2008. (see it above? WeeklyLog022908.html)

If you were interested in historical data for February, you'll have to get an old check register out for previous year's calendars Find the FRIDAYs.

Looking at my calendar, the codes for 2007 would begin with 020207 and continue on with 020907, 021607, 022307, etc.

You can delete and overtype substitute the numbers as you wish, then hit "return".

With this, you can develop a pretty good picture of historical data, but in the Southern rim of the western Caribbean, it's all pretty well a crap shoot. True enough, you're always going to be better off on the South side of the island, but no one can guarantee you sunny skies and tropical breezes.

During the regular accepted limits of the Caribbean Hurricane Season June>November, we all know that very seldom do these critters track anywhere South enough to bother the Bay Islands. Remember though, in the months afterwards, Tropical Storms continue this track pattern dumping rain and weather from the North.

Here's a lot of good maps and historical data: Hurricane History

But... as they do push 90 miles to the North of Roatan and the Bay Islands, they might pass by as near as 60 miles away on their way to center-smack Belize, Cozumel or points North... they do leave a trails of lashing rains.

Those pinwheel tails of clouds that radiate hundreds of miles from the destructive eye? Those are waves of tropical rain and bluster.

Our July/August visits to Utila and Roatán were fabulous. Heading back to Utila and trying out Guanaja this August - can't wait!

My favorite times is August and September! Flat calm and best viz and less bugs!

This thread was two years old....why is it back? :) In any case, I prefer June-September. It's hot, but fewer people.

This thread was two years old....why is it back? :) In any case, I prefer June-September. It's hot, but fewer people.
This thread is back because Craigsmith, who tells us he is an SEO professional has signed up and now wants to get his link in his signature out to as many places as he can.

Besides that, my favorite time is usually later spring, after the rains and all is green but by god it was hot this past april/may, And I am used to heat with months on Roatan and the rest mostly in Florida but it was Efffin hot. I may soon decide October is my favorite and just deal with the early rains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom