Bay Islands Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bleach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All

We just got back from 2 weeks in Utila and Roatan.

Week one was in Utila at Utopia Dive Village.

It was a wonderful place with wonderful people there to make the stay perfect. Three owners on the premises helps a lot, and you can tell they care and make sure that all the staff do as well.

The room was as advertised. Very well decorated, very clean, and all modern fixtures. Plus AC that will make you get up in the middle of the night to turn it down.
The Food was also nicley done. Hugh, the chef, does some amazing things with every meal. I think my favorites are the Banana Pancakes, and the Seared Tuna. The on-site dive shop is one of the best we have used. The DM's are professional, and really want you to have a good time without sacrificing saftey. Leonard the Captian is first rate and was great at positioning the large boat in the right spot for snorkeling with the whale sharks. (They were kind enough to show up for several days during our stay).

We will definitly be putting this on our list of placed to return to.

--------------------------

Week two was at Turquoise Bay Resort on Roatan.

This is a very nice property and is one of the cleanest we have stayed at. They have tons of staff to make sure you are well cared for.

The food was ok, but having just come from great, we were a little let down. Schedule at least an hour for each meal. The kitchen can be slow, though the wait staff are excellent. The dive op is contracted to Subway Watersports. Vanessa seamed to be the only one there with and DM experience and I felt confident in her abilities. The only major problem I had was that the DM's did not remind divers to stay off the reef during the breifings, even after I requested that they do it, and told them about several poeple on the boat to watch out for. Toward the end of the week I just had to stay as far away from the group as possible in order to keep my head from exploding:flame:.
I would reccommend this place for people with children(the kids I saw seemed to be having a great time) or those on a little tighter budget, but still want to feel like they are at a posh resort.

-------

Yes there are sand fleas, bring 25+% deet, use it! Once your bitten, don't scratch them. The bites I scratched stayed around for over a week and were horrible, the ones I did not were gone in 3 days. Tiger Balm gave us the best relief.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom