Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Utila - The Jade Seahorse

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Utila - The Jade Seahorse

Just off the main street in East Harbor, Utila, we found a small shop called the Jade Seahorse. Although it appears to be just a conventional tourist shop at first inspection, it opens to a vast expanse of wonderment in the rear.

Located there must be 10000 square feet of ceramic creation. Fabricated from various pieces of ceramic plates, seashells and knickknacks is the creation of some individual that had either an excessive amount of free time or an exorbitant amount of mushrooms, probably both.

I'd love to hear the story of this place if anyone knows it???

Last edited by cfelliot; May 15th, 2009 at 11:09 AM.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

16.05N/86.53W ... AKA Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras, C.A.
    Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    I always wanted to call that archway " ... and down the rabbit hole we go..."
    Neil's done some incredible stuff there.
    Utila Lodge Dive Resort
    Whale Shark Oceanic Research Center
    Bay Islands College of Diving
    Utila Hyperbaric Chamber

Registered

Cozumel April and August 2014

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    We explored the Jade Seahorse also while at Utila 4/4 to 4/11 and found it incredible. The place includes a lodge and bar, and is apparently a work in progress - we wandered through the builder's workshop where he has materials being prepared for mounting. Even the fixtures in the bathrooms are festooned with glass beads, ceramics, etc.. I'd love to have been able to peek into the guest rooms; I can only imagine the wild decorations and fixtures inside.

Did you notice the HUGE colorful tree spiders that have gorgeous, large webs spun throughout the place? There were so many that it seemed that they have been intentionally placed or encouraged to stay there - we saw more there than anywhere else on the island.

When walking up the road to the Jade Seahorse, you pass another brightly colored building across the road (closer to town). We were told by locals that this was a museum built by the same guy, but that it has never been opened. The architecture of both that building and the Jade Seahorse are great fun; I especially liked the offset, leaning rooflines of some of the smaller structures in the Jade Seahorse. It's Alice in Wonderland for real! The three dimensional aspects of the place, with narrow, twisted staircases and elevated seating areas and bars, add to the unreal feel.

I can't tell you more, but would also love to read more about the place myself. I can agree that the Jade Seahorse is well worth a visit by anyone traveling to Utila! It, along with the whale shark and oceanic research station were the highlights of our day in town (aside from several stops at local watering holes and to look at the vendors selling various trinkets and jewelry).

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnape View Post
    ...Did you notice the HUGE colorful tree spiders...
    Do you mean these cute guys? They were all over the place and sent the girls running!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by UTLgirl View Post
    I always wanted to call that archway " ... and down the rabbit hole we go..."
    Neil's done some incredible stuff there.
    Erin,

Yes, Jefferson Airplane would have fit well as background music.

"Go ask Alice, I think she'll know..........."

Chuck

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    There is a little info on their website. Jade Seahorse - Utila Bay Islands, Honduras - About Us

when were there, hoping to have a beer at the treetanic bar, they were closed for a holiday, but doors were open so we wandered around. i said to my husband, i half expect to see a crazy little man with a glue gun.....and there he was (except normal size), but sure enough with glue gun. not very chatty. project is never done, i suppose.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    That is one interesting eclectic place. I bet it looks really neat at night with lights on. Kind of like the Watts towers in L.A. only using colored glass. The spiders are a nice touch although I would not like to walk into an occupied web at night on one of the stairs.