Utila - The Jade Seahorse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfelliot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just off the main street in East Harbor, Utila, we found a small shop called the Jade Seahorse. Although it appears to be just a conventional tourist shop at first inspection, it opens to a vast expanse of wonderment in the rear.

Located there must be 10000 square feet of ceramic creation. Fabricated from various pieces of ceramic plates, seashells and knickknacks is the creation of some individual that had either an excessive amount of free time or an exorbitant amount of mushrooms, probably both.

I'd love to hear the story of this place if anyone knows it???

jadeseahorse1.jpg

jadeseahorse2.jpg

jadeseahorse3.jpg

jadeseahorse4.jpg

jadeseahorse5.jpg

jadeseahorse6.jpg

jadeseahorse7.jpg

jadeseahorse8.jpg

Last edited:
We explored the Jade Seahorse also while at Utila 4/4 to 4/11 and found it incredible. The place includes a lodge and bar, and is apparently a work in progress - we wandered through the builder's workshop where he has materials being prepared for mounting. Even the fixtures in the bathrooms are festooned with glass beads, ceramics, etc.. I'd love to have been able to peek into the guest rooms; I can only imagine the wild decorations and fixtures inside.

Did you notice the HUGE colorful tree spiders that have gorgeous, large webs spun throughout the place? There were so many that it seemed that they have been intentionally placed or encouraged to stay there - we saw more there than anywhere else on the island.

When walking up the road to the Jade Seahorse, you pass another brightly colored building across the road (closer to town). We were told by locals that this was a museum built by the same guy, but that it has never been opened. The architecture of both that building and the Jade Seahorse are great fun; I especially liked the offset, leaning rooflines of some of the smaller structures in the Jade Seahorse. It's Alice in Wonderland for real! The three dimensional aspects of the place, with narrow, twisted staircases and elevated seating areas and bars, add to the unreal feel.

I can't tell you more, but would also love to read more about the place myself. I can agree that the Jade Seahorse is well worth a visit by anyone traveling to Utila! It, along with the whale shark and oceanic research station were the highlights of our day in town (aside from several stops at local watering holes and to look at the vendors selling various trinkets and jewelry). :D

I always wanted to call that archway " ... and down the rabbit hole we go..." :)
Neil's done some incredible stuff there.

Erin,

Yes, Jefferson Airplane would have fit well as background music.

"Go ask Alice, I think she'll know..........."

Chuck

There is a little info on their website. Jade Seahorse - Utila Bay Islands, Honduras - About Us

when were there, hoping to have a beer at the treetanic bar, they were closed for a holiday, but doors were open so we wandered around. i said to my husband, i half expect to see a crazy little man with a glue gun.....and there he was (except normal size), but sure enough with glue gun. not very chatty. project is never done, i suppose.

That is one interesting eclectic place. I bet it looks really neat at night with lights on. Kind of like the Watts towers in L.A. only using colored glass. The spiders are a nice touch although I would not like to walk into an occupied web at night on one of the stairs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom