Honduras - Report - "The State of Diving Tourism"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offthewall1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm placing this in the "New Divers" forum in the hopes that New Divers will consider Honduras for their dive travel...

First, let me say that I just returned from Utila, one of the three major bay islands off the coast of Honduras.

I will talk a little about the diving later in this post, but first I want to talk about economics and how the US Economy and our Government have hurt Honduras and other travel destinations around the globe.

What I learned through speaking to dive shop owners and employees during my visit is that dive travel to Honduras was down 40% due to the tanking US economy prior to the coupe which ousted the elected President Manuel Zelaya and it has been down 70% since the coupe. Two of the three major resorts on Utila have closed and the Utila Aggressor live-aboard has been idled for the past month.

I want to ask all of you to consider choosing the Bay Islands of Honduras for your next dive trip. First and foremost it is important to understand that the overthrow of the government was needed and was sought by an over-whelming majority of the people we spoke to - both upper class and extremely poor lower class. The Honduran people are very proud to be a democracy and wish to remain that way - and the coupe was the only way to achieve that. Zelaya was in full-swing of turning Honduras into a dictatorship and had swindled millions of dollars in US aid which had come to Honduras for himself. More than one person reported a number around $20 million dollars being found in a mattress in his bed. An election is forthcoming and Honduras will remain a democracy. Having been there twice previously, I can tell you that my journey both on the mainland and the islands went without a hitch. The genuine and friendly people of Honduras are not at all happy with our Government for initially supporting Zelaya, but they reported the US Government seems to have changed their tune as the evidence against Zelaya has come out.

What does all this mean? It means travel to Honduras is safe and the benefits many.

The diving in the Bay Islands is probably the best in this hemisphere and the best offered anywhere in the Caribbean and Central America. The reefs of Utila are healthy and vibrant... in fact the healthiest corals I have seen in many years. Roatan has some great wreck and wall dives. Both islands offer good resorts and are very safe for travel The people who live on these islands are very dependent on tourism to put food on the table. I encourage you to help rebuild their tourism industry by scheduling a trip to one of the bay islands... Roatan, Utila or Guanaja. I'll be happy to provide you with recommendations if you PM me.

Our government and media are largely to blame for the over-reaction to the coupe. To a person, everyone in Honduras said it was tough being down 40% due to a poor US economy... but it was death when it went down 70% after the coupe and has been this way for more than six months now. It's time to return to the Bay Islands... you'll love this little piece of paradise.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

And I've moved it to the Bay Islands forum as that is where it belongs.

And there are many great deals to be had going there also. A lot of places this fall were running true 2 -1 specials and some resorts may have extended that.

One resort that I recommend is Bay Island Beach Resort. Come dive Roatan at the Bay Islands Beach Resort. We have diving, snorkeling and vacationing packages for the day or for the week.

The owners (Cam and Ted) are great people who do a lot for the island and they run a great operation. Check them out if you are thinking about going.

I don't want to get into a political fight here - please. I agree with almost everything Offthewall1 says. I have some doubts about his figures however regarding the effect the US government stance on the coupe. I lived on Utila for almost 4 months and during that time, I would estimate that 60% of the the visitors were non American. Utila caters to backbackers and young travelers from around the globe.
I think the Bay Islands are a terrific value and have visited Utila and Roatan many times and will continue to do so. I love the Utila Aggressor and will likely board again very soon.
The people of Roatan and Utila are some of the nicest and friendliest I've ever met especially those in the villages away from the resorts.
I personally think most of the problems faced by the tourism industry on Utila are caused by the diffiuculty of getting there. From many places in the US, you must overnight somewhere and that means you lose a day of vacation and many feel uncomfortable in the mainland cities of Honduas.
Roatan is very easy to get to and the resorts and dive operations are very competitive and good values. The cost to get there is a little high compared to some other locations.
I join with all the Bay Island lovers on this forum in encouraging everyone to give them a try.

Well said. And thank you. My wife and I were in Roatan last year during the coup and we felt perfectly safe and had an absolute blast. We will be going back in June. Frankly, if I could afford it, I'd move there in a hearbeat.

I'm placing this in the "New Divers" forum in the hopes that New Divers will consider Honduras for their dive travel...

Our government and media are largely to blame for the over-reaction to the coupe....

Probably the best reason to have allowed this post to stay in a different forum, maybe the General Travel Forum.

SCUBABoard is part of the media that you describe. So much useless and ill-founded information was posted here over so very many topics in the last year that it too, no doubt caused an impact.

Thanks for the relevant post. It was in the Bay Island Voice last month that any business in the Bay Islands involved in tourism was spending their own money to keep the doors open. For most businesses in that position, it is not possible to continue much longer on this path.

The US government, specifically Obama and the State Department abandoned one of the most staunch allies the US had in Central America for the past 50 years. It is true Zelaya was on a path to destroy democracy in Honduras, and committed many crimes to that end. All of that seems to be overlooked or whitewashed in order to "soothe" relations between Washington and the Left wing countires of Crentral and South America. This was a crime, as little Honduras would not kow-tow to a Washington directive, so it was economically pummeled for not blindly following the rules.

The Bay Islands have paid dearly for this slight. I think the real numbers are about an 80-85% drop in tourism. This, along with Zelaya's wage policies have resulted in a significant increase in unemployment in Honduras as a whole.

The prices for dive packages in the Bay Islands were already competitive before this man made disaster, and now most resorts are having to cannibalize themselves with deals like 2 for 1 just to keep the doors open and the reduced staff paid. It is not possible for an AI dive resort to operate a safe, maintained resort selling packages for less than $100 a day a diver, and that is a minimum. Any less than that, and there is something that is not being taken care of and will rear it's ugly head as soon as you have checked in... I do not care if it is 5 room resort or a 110 room resort.

The Bay Islands has some of the best diving in the world, let alone the Western Hemisphere. And it is about 2 hours from Houston and Atlanta. It is hard to beat the convenience, diving and atmosphere that they provide and it is as cheap as it is ever going to get. 'Cause any cheaper and most will not survive.

Anyway, the one upside to this is that the sandfly has become extinct in the Bay Islands from starvation as it's primary foodsource has disappeared... and I have lost 14 pounds by not eating with guests.

I follow this forum almost daily and I'm not sure all the resorts are being effected equally. Several posters have asked for advice on resorts on Roatan only to be disappointed that they were full when they went to make reservations. I sincerely hope every single operator survives so we continue to have dozens of choices and good competition.
It's too bad the Honduran people and not the Americans chose a poor leader that apparantly took advantage of his own people. It's too bad America (and much of the rest of the world) got involved at all after the fact but let's move on and continue to let divers know what a great place the Bay Islands can be. I doubt it's really helpful to place blame on anyone at this point.
I decided to take a look for a bargain on Utila today. Having lived there, I know what the prices for local hotels are like. I looked at the prices for some of the newer resorts. Some range as high as $1800 per person for a week including diving and food. For many places in the world, this is an excellent value. For the Bay Islands, that is pretty darn high. I found other places (not many) for about $900 and that seems to be more in line with the cost of doing business on Utila. There are many places on Roatan with outstanding reputations where one can go for under $1000 a week. I did not find any "sale" prices on Utila so I'm wondering if things are as bad as indicated.
The Aggressor begins to look more and more like a really good deal when priced against an $1800 resort with only 3 dives a day. Maybe some of the newer resorts should take a look at themselves and see if maybe their prices in these tough economic times, aren't contributing to the lack of interest.

Last edited:
I've booked Roatan so I'll let that action speak for me in regards to the original point of the post. :)

In regards to Utila, someone needs to make it crystal clear how to get there and back. In conjunction with the Delta and Continental flights to the area. In a reasonable time and $ spent and safety when you have a typical 7 day vacation schedule. And do all of that not in a forum but on an easy-to-read and follow website that rose to the top of Google searches.

Then, I believe Utila would sell itself! If I owned a tourist spot in Utila, I would band together with other similarly inclined persons and make sure the above happened.

My wife and I are going to Roatan the first week of February. We wanted to go to Utila, but our time frame didnt permit that. All options that I found for us to get to Utila required an overnight in La Ceiba or San Pedro Sula at the beginning and end of our trip, and we didnt want to burn that much vacation time getting there. Anyone know of a ferry trip from Roatan to Utila? I saw one online that seemed to be off and on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom