Coco View A+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

browntrout

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I spent out first week at Coco View Jan 29th through Feb 5th. Mitch and his entire staff made our stay top notch. We were on the Coco IV with the most amazing group of people I ever expect to share a dive boat with again. Add D/M Kirk and Captain Dave to that and this will be a difficult trip to top. The seas were high at times and the vis was bad at times during the week, but we made it to all the must do sites and saw all the must see creatures. The boats went out for every scheduled dive even on a day when the cruise ship wasn't allowed to dock in Coxen.

The food was very good and always in abundance. There were a couple dishes I didn't care for, but the butter poached snapper and shrimp bisque were two of the best things I have ever eaten. There was always a great salad bar with a wonderful variety of dressings. Omelets to order every morning, snd the pancakes were the best I've had. We went to Hole in the Wall as a boat the last day so we ate Steak and Lobster for lunch and dinner on Friday, how many times is that going to happen?

Our cabana was great and we were greated by a large Eagle Ray swimming under our deck the first afternoon. The bed was the most comfortable I've slept on south of the border. It wasn't very hot, but on the warmer days the AC stayed on top it with no problem.

The dive operation was great. I can't imagine getting worn out on the drop off/shore dives. We did a 4:30 am shore dive that was just fabulous. Cocoview wall has amazing topography and Newmans supports great sea life. We saw the resident monster moray out and about several times, once with his buddy the grouper on the wall. I think the Spade fish at Minger Rheas were my favorite. They surely like getting close and personal with divers. I can't count the number of times I laughed out loud through my reg during the trip.

I can't stress enough how relaxing the level of security is at Coco View. We didn't use our room key all week and didn't have to think twice about leaving anything lying around either in our room or our lockers. I would leave my G-10 and Ikelite case on the boat between dives and never give it a second thought.

We brought some items to donate to the local school and left a bunch of stuff for our housekeeper. I highly encourage others to do the same. I thought I had seen poverty in Mexico, I was wrong. There are certainly tons of people stuggling to obtain basic human needs on this island.

I desperatley need to build my photo skills and add a strobe to my camera, but here a few pics that turned out OK.

PS our D/M killed tons of lionfish and it was great to watch the yellowtails and groupers devour them.

Attachments

• Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011 050.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011 050.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011 075.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011 075.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 132
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011 155.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011 155.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(2) 015.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(2) 015.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(3) 019.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(3) 019.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(3) 031.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(3) 031.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(4) 019.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(4) 019.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(4) 068.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(4) 068.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 116
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(5) 023.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(5) 023.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(5) 042.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(5) 042.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 144
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(6) 121.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(6) 121.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 260
  • Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(6) 122.jpg
    Cocview-Roatan Jan 2011(6) 122.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 137
If you are looking for a "dive vacation" as opposed to a vacation where you do a few dives - COCO View is mighty hard to beat.

Next trip this May 2011.

As a side note - my daughter requested that for our 2011 dive trip we return to Coco View. The request didn't hurt my feelings one bit!

Thanks for the great report and welcome to the wonderful world of diving and the wonderful world of hospatility that Roatan and CoCo View has to offer..........come back soon!!

How did you combat the bugs; DEET of did something else prove more effective?
Thanks

We used a product with picardin. My wife didn't get bit at all, I got several bites, but I didn't wear it several days. I only got noseeum bites no mosquitos. We have noseeums and tons of mosquitos at home so it wasn't really an inconvienence, One woman in our group had a reaction to them and it looked pretty miserable. I would use the picardin product again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom