Media Luna Resort...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanshark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone been to the Media Luna Resort (Supposedly 4 star) on Roatan? how was the dive shop? How about the Henry Morgan/Mayan Princess (I understand tha the both use the dive shop out of the Henry Morgan).

Sunquest vacations out of Toronto has direct flights YYZ-RTB, one week all inlcusive including the flight with diving is $1495 CDN at the Media Luna. I'm looking to go December 12th. Note: I'm traveling solo, so this includes the single supplement.

Cheers..

We have been to Media Luna twice and really loved it there. The bungalows are very comfortable and the grounds of the resort are beautiful. The resort is located on the east end of Roatan, which is away from all of the hustle and bustle of town and cruise ship activity and tends to me more quiet. The dive operator at Media Luna is Aqua Adventures. They have a smaller boat and a larger boat and can use them according to group size or destination. While we were there in July, they were offering day trips to dive Cayos Cochinos...I would HIGHLY recommend that experience if you have the opportunity.

I have not stayed at Henry Morgan resort, but did visit one time for lunch. It's located right on West Bay Beach and there are many more people around. (Not the peaceful environment of Media Luna, but lots of fun!) The dive operation there is TGI Divers.

I have not been to Mayan Princess, so can't comment...

You can find out information and take virtual tours of Media Luna and Henry Morgan at goroatan.com if you want to check it out :D

Mayan Princess uses Mayan Divers located on the grounds run by Anja and Liber. Going back this Thanksgiving. We like the Mayan Princess because it is right where the action is. LOL, it's Roatan, so if you've been their before, you know that's a joke. There is no action anywhere. But the Mayan Princess sits on the West Bay Beach, one of those beaches that has been voted top 10 beaches over and over again. Its very nice, very clean, super pool, sits on the beach and is minutes from West End. Mayan Divers - is a great small shop where the owners dive with you, they are all about having fun, being safe and making sure you have a perfect dive experience. Henry Morgan is next door. Not my cup of tea, when I went over to check it out was treated like an interloper, seemed like a ton of Europeans staying there along with all the baggage you get with that.

(Supposedly 4 star)

The "Star" system does have set definitions. There is no such thing as a "four star" on the Bay Islands, period. A few class as 1 Star Star (classification) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You have to decide when going to Roatan...

- Do you want maximum diving?
- Do you want a bit more luxurious atmosphere than others available?
- Do you want access to a wider range in selecting food types?
- Do you want nigh-time party atmosphere?

Each, unfortunately, it just about mutually exclusive in terms of choice of accoms, a resort, or an island zone area.

The dive shop and the dive staff are first class at this resort but the resort itself has problems. In fact the dive shop is miles above the standard of everything else at this location.

The facility and the rooms could be 5 star but sadly that is not the case.

I was there a week ago and the much vaunted Italian chef was somewhere else! The food was so bad it was unbelievable so we decided to explore the local restaurant scene for dinner above and beyond the all inclusive deal.

The culinary highlights on offer at Media Luna included the following:

They repeatedly ran out of bread

If you want bacon with your eggs get down quickly in the morning for breakfast.

If you want the ingredients in your omelet cooked, be prepared to train whomever is at the omelet station.

If you enjoy meat tougher than your shoe leather, this is the place for you.

If you think potatoes can only be cooked or adulterated with garlic butter, you will be in heaven.

If you like deserts go somewhere else, as the same three tasteless baked items were on the menu each day for the whole week, at every meal.

If you or your spouse wants a breakfast later than 09:00, forget it. On the occasion that this was put to the test, a ($3) snickers bar from the dive shop and a coffee had to suffice.

There is nothing available to eat after the dinner service, even if you are willing to pay for it.

Our group concluded that the cook must have been called Merlin, after the magician. The reason being, it would have taken a magician to convert otherwise good ingredients into such garbage.

The bar closes at 23:00, so sadly there is a limit to drowning your sorrows at Media Luna.

Overall, I would strongly suggest that you forget this place and try somewhere else for your vacation.

Scuba Hugh

Hi Ianshark,
I'm planning on going solo at Media Luna. Did you have problem finding a partner for diving there? Do you remember how much they charge per dives or if they offer a package. Thank you! :)

Ditto for Henry Morgan.dive shop was 2nd class,if that.food was bad and they ran out of sodas and liquor,so even though its all inclusive you had to go buy it somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom