Reef House Resort, Roatan [May 26 - June 2] -- anyone??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VicScubaVentures

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone from around the board going to be at RHR Mar 26 to June 2?

I came home from my CCV trip in early April, got a new job, and an opportunity to take another week off before starting the new position. Found a good deal for airlines and RHR so I'm going back. It'll be interesting doing the comparison from CCV to RHR so close together.

Anyone with RHR experience care to chime in with advice? Really curious about the sites they dive, and the shore diving in front of the RH in particularly!

Cheers,
Craig

We are leaving just now for a two weeks stay at RHR. It will be our first time in Roatan though, can't compare to CCV. Send me a PM if you have questions I could answer for you!

Howdy Craig!

I've been to both RHR and CocoView.

Rooms: I'd probably give the nod here to CocoView. I had one of the "over the water rooms" at CCV and it was quite nice. They were large and comfortable. At RHR I had one of the two adjoining rooms that sit at the top of some stairs. It was also nice. Both places had plenty of hot water and water pressure. I just like being over the water I guess and that's why I give the nod to CCV.

Food: Without a doubt, (my opinion of course) the food was better at RHR. Very tasty meals and plenty of food. They bring it out to you instead of buffet style but they would give you more if you wanted it. I thought the food at CCV was just OK. Not bad but nothing special by any means.

The Diving: Hands down I thought RHR was way better than CCV. You pretty much have the area you dive all to yourself. I think the week we were there we saw one other boat during the week. The diving was more pristine. Davit, the DM, found maybe 15 seahorses during the week. Four on one dive. Also, CCV only takes you to 2 different sites during the day. A site in the morning then a drop-off dive out front and the same in the afternoon. RHR will take you to 3 different sites during the day. I actually like the house reef at RHR better as well. It can be a little more of a challenge where you go in and out of the reef at RHR but not a big deal. You just need to be a little more careful swimming between the coral heads until you get out a few yards but the reef there is beautiful. I found that so many folks do the shore dive at CCV that it can really get stirred up at times. Especially the wreck.

I think both places are really nice but when I return, it will always be to RHR. Of course a big plus is RHR is usually a few hundred cheaper than CCV.

@BDSC ...

Can you "drop off" from the RHR boats on the house reef/wall like you can at CCV?

Is there a marked path from the RHR pier to the reef? I'm wondering about navigation and knowing where to head back to shore from if you've been out exploring.

Thanks for your perspective. I'm really looking forward to trying somewhere new on Roatan.

C.

While I never did a drop-off from the boat I have no doubt they would do that for you. Of course you already do two dives in the morning so I don't know if you could get in a third dive before lunch. I doubt it. But in the afternoon it would work. Of course you could just as easy go in and then do a shore dive from the pier.

I don't remember them having an actual marked path in and out from their shore. But if you were to drop off from the boat, you could get your bearings from the surface and then drop down and head in the general direction. Once closer to shore you could come up and take a peek. Just do a couple of shore dives first and then you'll get the feel of what to look for.

Back
Top Bottom