My review: Utila Dive Center's Divemaster Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just completed my DMT last May in Honduras on the island of Utila at the Utila Dive Center (UDC - http://www.utiladivecenter.com/diving-utila.htm ) and when I completed the training I was so happy that I chose UDC.

When I choose my DMT program I had several selection criteria that I was looking for. What I found in my search was that UDC fit all of these criteria:
1. New location that I had never been to before; I like to explore as much as possible:
a. I did my PADI OW in Denver, Colorado with a referral for the Open Water dives in Puerto Morales, MX.
b. I did my PADI AOW in a couple of spots in Puerto Rico.
c. I did my PADI Rescue Diver in Dubai, UAE.
d. I did my PADI Master Diver in Phuket, Thailand.
e. I did my BSAC Dive Leader in Kuwait.
f. After reading about the coral reef in Utila, I added this destination as a possibility, but I was also considering Koa Tao, Thailand and Cairns, Australia.
2. Professional training program and not just an add-on to generate cash:
a. UDC had PADI’s 5-Star Career Development Center rating and I like their GoPro website. I read in completely different websites not ran by UDC how they were awarded with PADI’s training awards; I later learned that this was not done based on volume, but quality.
b. From my personal experience at UDC I was so pleased to see a separation of “Paying Guests” and “Dive Trainees” with dedicated boats for each...I think this made it more enjoyable for both groups since the dive objectives were completely different.
c. All PADI courses have their minimum required tasks that need to be completed to a certain level of proficiency. The UDC team had also included a few tasks that they felt would benefit the DMTs in the future.
d. Another feature to their training program was the assignment of a mentor. We did not have just one instructor conducting the training we had six instructors with Suzy Phipps – UK, Maya Pedersen – Denmark, Fernando Canada – Spain, and Josiah Mackin – USA, being the primary instructors; so you get a variety of different teaching styles and knowledge backgrounds. But it was our Mentor, Maya in my case, that provided that one-on-one guidance through the unforeseen waters of the program. My mentor was Maya Pedersen who I now consider a true friend and a treasured colleague of Poseidon’s domain.
e. When I took my DMT a few of the staff members were on vacation. But upon their return, I was amazed how they knew who I was and would say hello. I cannot tell you how good this made me feel that UDC recognized me as a individual person and not just another student in the training pool. And when I look back upon my entire experience from my initial contact seeking information to well after I returned home, UDC has treated me better than any other school, college, training center (dive or professional) I have ever seen.
3. Strong recommendation:
a. When I asked ScubaBoard for recommendations for a good training center to go to in Utila, UDC was the top of their recommendations.
b. This is one thread that I started, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/central-america/401825-dive-master-training-bay-islands-caribbean.html . I also was provided recommendation on other threads or read about them.
c. Since taking my DMT at UDC, I have run into fellow UDC alumni in Greece and the US. We all have been grateful on choosing UDC.
4. Ecology and conservation education programs:
a. My formal college education is in Wildlife Management with strong emphases in Biodiversity and Conservation. While I no longer work full-time in that career field or consider myself a Biologist, I do call myself a Conservationist and a Naturalist. My current career field is in Project Management. So I was looking for a ecology/conservation education program that I could teach to High School age children in an after-school program and combine Ocean Conservation and Project Management.
b. UDC, under the guidance of Suzy Phipps B.sc. a Marine Biologist, runs the Science Career Development Center for the Beautiful Oceans Academy. Suzy conducts a great marine ecology education program. The programs has two components; 1) Coral Reef Architecture & Organisms and 2) Coral Reef Ecosystem and Food Web. I took both courses and took the Instructor’s courses for each component.
c. Not only did I gain the tools that I was looking for, I learned so much about the coral reefs, that I now never look at a dive the same way again. The enhancement has been exhilarating.
5. Additional technical courses, e.g. Rebreather and Intro to Tech Diving:
a. As I explore other Recreational Diving methods, I have been testing the waters of Technical Diving. I still have my original BDC set-up, but I also have been diving more and more with a BP/Wing and a more Tec-style of reg and hose configuration. But I still have not have not had the formal training. So I was looking at Tec Diving courses.
b. UDC is the only DSAT and IANTD technical diving center in Central America. In my correspondences with Andy Phipps, Course Director, prior to coming to UDC we had discussed taking their Rebreather course. While time did not permit this to happen, it was offered and an opportunity that I was looking for. Instead I focused on the Marine Ecology courses and my Divemaster training.

When selecting a training center to do my Divemaster training, I was set specific criteria that I wanted in a Dive Center. UDC fulfilled those requirements and then so much more. Training was at my own pace (you can take as long as you need or want, all while diving every day for the same price) and not a pre-cut “canned” schedule. The instructors were laid back, yet very professional in the quality of their instructions. If I excelled in one particular area, great we reviewed and demonstrated. In areas that I was not so strong or had all together forgotten, they spent the time working with me to make sure that not only could I perform the skill, but I understood the “why” behind the skill. There were students who were taking multiple courses such as OW – DM that I saw had more proficient skills than some of the DMs that have guided me over the years. You hear the phrase "Zero to Hero" often on Scuba board and I have historically been sceptical of programs that offer them. But as in the case of most of these divers I dove with at UDC, they demonstrated that they had the skills necessary to be certified with the DM rating. At the end of the day, most people were not in a rush to get out of there; a popular activity was to just enjoy the sunset from a platform at the end of the pier or hang around for the weekly BBQ.

Utila was an incredible environment to do my DMT. The reef had so much to offer that in a month I knew that I still did not see most of it. There were walls, gardens, swim-thrus, corals of all types and the fish species that are attracted to the corals. One day on the way back from two morning dives, we had the opportunity to snorkle with wild dolphions...that I will never forget. We did miss the whale sharks, maybe next time.

Before coming to UDC, my plans were to do each leg of my training at different locations worldwide with different training centers. So far I have had a one exceptional course (BSAC), and from PADI a few good ones and one really bad one with that philosophy. Now after my UDC experience, especially as time away from the center sets in) I am re-examining that train of thought. I feel that the training, the logistics, the program, the instructors, and the community were so good and idea for what I want from training, I am now incline to return to UDC for my IDC. This time I will bring my daughter, whose DM training lacked in comparison to UDC’s.

To Suzy who helped me the Beautiful Ocean’s Instructor’s course, to Maya who was a great mentor & instructor and to Fernando and Josiah “Juicy” for the DM foundation and to the rest of the UDC staff…thanks for such an incredible and life changing experience. I hope that our trails cross again and there will be time to blow some bubbles together (unless we are using rebreathers ). :yeahbaby:

Thanks...
Michael
:wave:

great review. i did my rescue diver at udc a few years back and thought the instruction for first rate.

I, too, did Rescue at UDC and remember it being an excellent experience. Some of my Rescue classmates continued on to the DM course, but I didn't have the time.

How many weeks did you take to complete the DM course? (If you said this in your post, forgive me for missing it.) If I recall, six weeks was sort of the benchmark at UDC, though some do it in less, and many slackards stretched it out over months so they could dive on the cheap as DMTs.

How many weeks did you take to complete the DM course? (If you said this in your post, forgive me for missing it.) If I recall, six weeks was sort of the benchmark at UDC, though some do it in less, and many slackards stretched it out over months so they could dive on the cheap as DMTs.

Lorenzoid,

I was on a time schedule as I had a new job to back to. I was at UDC for three weeks. For 2½ weeks I focused on my DM. and the other time I focused on my Ecocourses. This is why I ran out of time to do the Tec and rebreather courses. I planned on doing my DM in two weeks, but I needed the extra time to hone some of my skills that I was not as sharp in. UDC preferres that you take three weeks, plus any additional time you need to meet the diving experience. I had 100+ dives during my training and I was active with a BSAC club prior to my UDC DM program. If you have not had any additional traiing since your Rescue, I would plan at least three weeks. While you can do the PADI portion of the training in two weeks, UDC has pretty high performance standards that you need to demonstrate, plus they include a lot of extras, i.e assist with a couple of OW, AOW and/or Rescue classes, coral reef surveys and more, that enhances your DM training and experience. If I had the time to do it all over again, I would do the DM in about 3½ weeks; just so I could slow down and enjhoy the ride more. Then I would stick around and take advantage of their Tec services.

~ME~
:wavey:

Thanks for the comprehensive review. I leave in 2 days headed for UDC for a few months to complete my DM and IDC. Super excited!!! ><>

Enjoy yourself at UDC and Utila. I cannot wait until I make it back myself.

I think you love UDC...two months, I am envious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Can u tell us about the accommodations? Did you cook or did they feed you? How much does the DM course and room/board cost?

It has crossed my mind once or twice to DM one day. I love your review!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Kryssa,

Accommodations for the most part are up to you to provide. Utila Dive Center is associated with the Mango Inn. Customarily when you book your DM class you are offered 3-4 nights stay for free until you can make other arrangements or you can choose to stay at the Mango; at least to the best of my recollection that was the arrangement when I took my DM last April. I visited the Mango Inn a couple of times for dinner…awesome pizza. Before I arrived I was in contact with Andy (one of the Course Directors) and he recommended a few places to stay. Instead of the Mango Inn, we stayed at the Lighthouse which was about a five minute walk from UDC. The Lighthouse Hotel - Utila, The Bay Islands, Honduras This place was great. The ocean view was awesome, we watched Eagle Rays from the balcony almost daily, and it had a small kitchenette (frig, sink and microwave), cable TV and internet hotspots. My GF became good friends with the owner who lives on the property (so you don’t have to worry about strangers wondering about as it is a gated Inn and she keeps an eye out). While the Lighthouse is considered to be one of the finest there are numerous places to stay while you do your DM training; anything from sharing a room with other divers, to boarding houses, to bed & breakfasts, to small inns & hotels such as the Mango Inn or the Lighthouse. If you arrive a few days before your training starts, you will have time to see what is available or you can look online and book ahead. While I stayed at the Lighthouse this last time, I think I will be staying at the Mango Inn next time (just to mix it up a bit on my part).

We mixed it up eating in and eating out. There were many markets to shop from, as there were also quite a few really good restaurants. Our favorite was Big Mama’s and her Coconut Chicken. On Thursday UDC has a BBQ that is pretty good. They also have a small cantina that has good breakfast and lunch meals.

One of the nice things about Utila is there are not any really big resorts there “yet”, so prices are very reasonable for the young divers on a “budget”. If you contact Andy with UDC, he can provide the latest information on accommodations. Also you can look on line to sites such as TripAdvisor for reviews on Inns or hotels.

Good luck on your decision on taking the DM course; if you do I suggest Utila and UDC.

~Michael~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom