Utila - Deep Blue Divers vs Mango inn (Utila Dive center)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Utila - Deep Blue Divers vs Mango inn

my wife and I plan to be down there in late August- early Sept. 2004.
As of right now, for a full fare all inclusive 6 days of diving, Deep Blue is approx 500 bills more money per person......

Who has been to both- why such a spread?

Vin

It's been a few years since I've been to Honduras. I stayed at the Mango Inn, it was basic but fine and would stay there again. It's not on or even all that close to the water. It only offered pretty basic services at the time also. I suspect Deep Blue probably offers a bit more... depend what you're looking for I guess. I just wanted a clean room/bed seeing as I spent most of the time diving and hanging out.

Hi I have dived with most of the diveshops in Utila and over the years have stayed at the resorts as well. Deep Blue has 2 totally different businesses - 1st there is their dive shop in town which caters to the travelling backpackers then there is their resort which is completly different.

As for their resort in comparison with the Mango Inn there is none, at the Mango you get a nice basic room, you have to pay extra for the diving and meals.

Deep Blue Resort is in a stunning location right on the beach away from town and only accessible by boat. They will pick you up from the airport and take you to the resort. Their price includes everything, you can go shore diving at anytime you like at no extra cost, all meals, which i must say are fantastic, no extra cost, all your diving 3 dives a day, no extra cost.

I will be returning to Deep Blue it has really pushed up the accomodation and diving stakes in Utila

I dove Utila Dive Center and stayed at the Mango Inn. Got back the middle of last month. I can't speak to Deep Blue though I met a handful that had nothing but good to say. The diving was awesome and UDC was very professional and a fun bunch of people. Most of us used a couple different dive outfits depending on where and when the boats were going. North side dives are really wild! Big walls and high chance of whale shark sightings.

The Mango Inn was great. Nice, nice folks. Great open air restaurant, the only swimming pool on the island and a real wood fired brick pizza oven. Everything in Utila Town is within walking distance but you can rent a golf cart if you want. Rooms were not plush but air conditioned and more than enough if your main function is diving.

Have a Salva Vida for me!

UDC is a very good shop, but mainly tuned into the dive school thing. I have not been to Deep Blue's resort, but it appears to be the typical all inclusive Dive Lodge, similar to Laguna Beach, where I have been on two trips. Deep Blue gets a lot of positive comments around here.

Doing UDC with Mango puts you somewhere price-wise between staying in a backpacker place and using one of the in town shops like UDC, and staying at Laguna or Deep Blue. That said, Mango has nice landscaping, good food, A/C, and a nice pool, even if it is back from the water.

I enjoyed doing the backpacker thing with UDC last time, but would almost certainly go to one of the resorts if traveling with The Mermaid, but that reflects both her tastes and a woman's ability to get her way. Most of the other customers on the boat with me were staying at Mango, and I did not hear any complaints. The resorts are fairly dead by 9 pm, and not the best place to stay if you like to go out drinking or generally raising hell in the evening. Dives at the resorts will be slightly longer, but not way longer as the kitchen staff does not like to wait around forever.

$500 each, that depends on how dear cash is to you, or how deep in hock you are willing to get to take a vacation.

My wife and I really enjoyed staying at the Mango and diving w/ UDC! It was a little shocking when arriving on the Island from Roatan however once we arrived at the Mango the staff was great, the rooms where quite nice and the food was really good. especially the pizza from the wood fired brick oven! The staff and DM's at UDC were really professional aswell. So... well we have already booked for next year if that is any indication. By the way, we spoke to others that had stayed/dove with Deep Blue and there was nothing but good things said about that operation aswell.

So I think it wouldn't matter who you chose! Have a great time!

I wonder if the OP left a trip report somewhere?

I'm curious...

Sea ya!

Between the two....what do YOU want?

LaCuda and I travel pretty frequently to Utila. We are familiar with a lot of the people and operators, all friends. Mango and Deep Blur Resrot are two different types of operations. Mango is in town, up the hill a way (walk) The restaurant is on sight and open air. They do their diving with Utila Dive Center which is on of the most energetic training operations in the Islands.

On the other hand, DBR is accesed by boat...as such one must use a boat to go to town, if desirred. DBR is the newest AI resort on Utila. Jasmine, Steve and Shirley run a very hospitable operation. Steve and the DM's and Swin, Capt. will do everything to make your stay memorable. Jasmine personally oversees everything in the kitchen. The food is excellent. If you want quiet, a real vacation and some great diving company, DBR would be a great choice. We love diving with them!! Who knows, maybe Steve will make you an offer you can't refuse.

Regards,

Ya know, I just noticed this original post was from December 2003.

Even when I first posted over a year ago I missed their trip by six months...

Whoops!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom