Subway Watersports owner murdered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevep4444

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Apparently Patrick was murdered a couple of days ago.This is getting very crazy! I am sure there is some expat real estate in Roatan going pretty cheap these days. Very sad.

I cant even find anything on the interent about this........ Details?

Don't engage in relationships (business or social) while living outside of your zone: Go and dive, but I wouldn't recommend living there.

From The Bay Islands Voice

Another Expatriate Murdered on Roatan

No sooner did we send the December issue of the Voice off to print and upload it to the web page than we learned that Patrick Zyngg, a Swiss citizen who had lived on Roatan many years and operated Subway Water Sports, was found dead in his home in Brick Bay, Roatan, yesterday afternoon, stabbed in the throat. The body was found l
ying on the floor by an employee. Police said he had been dead 12-24 hours, which indicates the crime occurred sometime between Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning. Detective Hector Ponce of the Criminal Investigation Division (DNIC) said there were no signs of forced entry or struggle, which leads detectives to suspect the assailant was someone the victim knew.

Don't engage in relationships (business or social) while living outside of your zone: Go and dive, but I wouldn't recommend living there.

From The Bay Islands Voice

Another Expatriate Murdered on Roatan

No sooner did we send the December issue of the Voice off to print and upload it to the web page than we learned that Patrick Zyngg, a Swiss citizen who had lived on Roatan many years and operated Subway Water Sports, was found dead in his home in Brick Bay, Roatan, yesterday afternoon, stabbed in the throat. The body was found l
ying on the floor by an employee. Police said he had been dead 12-24 hours, which indicates the crime occurred sometime between Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning. Detective Hector Ponce of the Criminal Investigation Division (DNIC) said there were no signs of forced entry or struggle, which leads detectives to suspect the assailant was someone the victim knew.

If he was at home, would all his openings be closed and bolted? Curious opinion...

Sadly this will not be the last Expat property or business owner to be murdered and probably will not be long before the next incident. Roatan was in my books was a great place to visit and dive but wouldn't want to live there and now is a good place to dive and pray for the safety of friends on the Island.

Unreal. So much for all the crap about insulation from the mainland. Looks like it's time to start admitting that Roatan is actually part of Honduras.

Anybody want to go back and change their posts in all those threads about disregarding the drug related murders on the East end?

You stateside people just want to think this only happens in other countries. Denver and Chicago are much more dangerous than Roatan. No place on earth can escape globalization, and the spread of desensitization of violence through the media in the US.

The generation under age 40 today has no morality, or culture left. The blame for this squarely lies with how our US media portrays and exports "the lives and value systems of Americans," to the detriment of the world.

What is the US doing in Libya, Syria and the rest of the Middle East? Murdering people using drones and putting it on the front page of all news outlets. We CONDONE it, and actually advocate it. Our society has done more to advance violence and tyranny in the world than any country in the last 75 years.

And no, the real estate values here will not take a hit because of this. If anything, it can be said that we do have frontier justice, and in some cases vigilante justice here. IMO, it is a far better answer than the US Supreme Court, where it is clear that the Law of the Land belongs to those with deep pockets and good lobbyists.

You have not come to terms with how cheap life is, EVERYWHERE. You do not live in a vacuum. And no, I would not take one post back about the incidents on the east end, I live there, and certainly feel safer, and more free than in the US. You cannot come down here and pull the crap you may get away with in the US, and hide behind the court system.

Even simple poor Hondurans have enough sense to understand how the system works, and where justice is found.... Something I cannot say about North Americans.

For the rest that want to bash Roatan, wake up, it is just now catching up with the rest of the world, and we will probably never see in Roatan the level of violence and problems that North America is experiencing domestically, and inflicting on other countries and their populations though our insane foreign policy.

An American or Canadian passport used to be worth it's weight in gold. Today, because of our foreign policy and arrogance, it has placed a target on us.

That said, RIP Patrick and condolences to your family. For that matter, God help us all, we are going to need it.

As soon as you apply your violence logic logically taking into consideration the population numbers between the places you are trying to compare I'll take you seriously. After that you can explore the differences in the legal systems between the two, then for 3rds then ponder on the health services available between the two.

Now not only is the violence levels raising geometrically on Roatan, which is cause enough to be wary, when you consider the additional issue of a police system that is non-existant and a legal system that is a joke, then consider if something does happen to you you'll end up on a gurney next to a sick horse at the 'hospital'...

No thanks

Oh and if we are comparing Denver, the nice thing about Denver is if somebody is about to slit my throat, I'm allowed to pull the weapon out of my holster, pocket, glove compartment etc... and put a bullet between his eyes. I don't think I can do that in Roatan, instead I'd be reaching for a sea shell.

Sailbad: so if I follow your logic , in someone's opinion Patrick committed a crime worthy of the death sentence? If so, please let us know what he allegedly did and who was the one who acted as his judge,jury and executioner.

Seems to me that any place with no real police,no functioning judiciary system,people living in extreme poverty,available guns,no social programs and people who appear to have some degree of wealth all mixed together is a very dangerous dynamic.

You stateside people just want to think this only happens in other countries. Denver and Chicago are much more dangerous than Roatan. No place on earth can escape globalization, and the spread of desensitization of violence through the media in the US.

The generation under age 40 today has no morality, or culture left. The blame for this squarely lies with how our US media portrays and exports "the lives and value systems of Americans," to the detriment of the world.

What is the US doing in Libya, Syria and the rest of the Middle East? Murdering people using drones and putting it on the front page of all news outlets. We CONDONE it, and actually advocate it. Our society has done more to advance violence and tyranny in the world than any country in the last 75 years.

And no, the real estate values here will not take a hit because of this. If anything, it can be said that we do have frontier justice, and in some cases vigilante justice here. IMO, it is a far better answer than the US Supreme Court, where it is clear that the Law of the Land belongs to those with deep pockets and good lobbyists.

You have not come to terms with how cheap life is, EVERYWHERE. You do not live in a vacuum. And no, I would not take one post back about the incidents on the east end, I live there, and certainly feel safer, and more free than in the US. You cannot come down here and pull the crap you may get away with in the US, and hide behind the court system.

Even simple poor Hondurans have enough sense to understand how the system works, and where justice is found.... Something I cannot say about North Americans.

For the rest that want to bash Roatan, wake up, it is just now catching up with the rest of the world, and we will probably never see in Roatan the level of violence and problems that North America is experiencing domestically, and inflicting on other countries and their populations though our insane foreign policy.

An American or Canadian passport used to be worth it's weight in gold. Today, because of our foreign policy and arrogance, it has placed a target on us.

That said, RIP Patrick and condolences to your family. For that matter, God help us all, we are going to need it.

WOW! do you write for the tourist bureau or what? Makes me want to book a trip tonight!

Back
Top Bottom