Headed to AKR, anyone else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andreau

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all, we have finally settled on going to AKR on May 31st to June 7th.

It will at least be myself and one other but maybe two more. All I know is that mine is paid for and I'm going regardless, solo or not lol! I'm so ready for another trip to Roatan if you can't tell.

I was was just wondering if anyone else is planning on going on the same dates?

Just got back and had a great time. The week went fast.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Did you do any shore diving from AKR and if so how was it?

Did you do any shore diving from AKR and if so how was it?

no shore diving just did all 20 boat dives. The shore dive shack is on the far end of the key and a boat ride from the gear locker. They have tanks out there but you would have to bring your gear out there. The entry looked ok but didn't look like there was a lot of effort put into it. They advertised a Chanel dive at 6 pm to an old wrecked airplane that a couple of people on out boat did.

no shore diving just did all 20 boat dives. The shore dive shack is on the far end of the key and a boat ride from the gear locker. They have tanks out there but you would have to bring your gear out there. The entry looked ok but didn't look like there was a lot of effort put into it. They advertised a Chanel dive at 6 pm to an old wrecked airplane that a couple of people on out boat did.

thanks for the info.

My girlfriend and I will be heading down for the first time. Hope to do some excellent diving. we are staying in a condo rather that AKR.

Hello all, we have finally settled on going to AKR on May 31st to June 7th.

It will at least be myself and one other but maybe two more. All I know is that mine is paid for and I'm going regardless, solo or not lol! I'm so ready for another trip to Roatan if you can't tell.

I was was just wondering if anyone else is planning on going on the same dates?

Just got back and had a great time. The week went fast.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

what is AKR like for single divers? Can you just go with the DM /group the way you can in Coz or is there a more formal buddy system enforced?

When we were there there was not anything very formal except for the night dive. The really new guy just stayed with the dive master. Everyone comes up as a group at about 45-50 min on most dives. I suspect the buddy enforcement varies between dive masters there.

As a side note the diving is very easy compared to Cozumel with very little to no current on most dives. We did a few "drift" dives bub that really just meant we got picked up at a different spot than we were dropped off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom