New Travel Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sound terrible, doesn't it? But my guess is that the Bay Islands are probably safer, as long as one takes common sense precautions.

Crime is one of the reasons why I altered my own flight plan to completely bypass Hondurian mainland during my future trip to Utila. Even in Roatan I am only staying long enough to connect flights.

The crime in Honduras is very real and should not be taken lightly. The Bay Islands are definitely safer but you really need to take stock of your risk tolerance. Lots of folks will chime in to say that they have never had a problem so you should do a bit more research yourself.

The crime in Honduras is very real and should not be taken lightly. The Bay Islands are definitely safer but you really need to take stock of your risk tolerance. Lots of folks will chime in to say that they have never had a problem so you should do a bit more research yourself.

+1 very good advice

In 2012, the Government of Honduras increased police presence and established special police forces in areas frequented by tourists, such as the Copan Mayan ruins and Roatan.
And they carry machine guns...saw them in jeeps one day in the West End.

Doc can add to this but I believe the head of Security at Cocoview was a former LEO. And his guards are armed. Plus the only access is by boat.

If it concerns you, CCV reps meet you at the airport, load you on their shuttle to the resort and return you back the next Saturday. So you never have to leave. But you'll really miss a lot if you do. Actually almost all the AI's are either on islands or fenced/gated.
Coxen Hole on the island of Roatan should be avoided after dark
This I agree with - lives up to it's name. Unless you're on a cruise, no real reason to go there during the day either. Cocoview sets up West End rides if you need a change. Most of the better restaurants are there. And West Bay is the nicest beach. Thousands of cruise tourists weekly think so also so I'm guessing it's pretty safe.

Last edited:
Doc can add to this but I believe the head of Security at Cocoview was a former LEO. And his guards are armed. Plus the only access is by boat.

The guy that organized them was the director of all airports (mil & civ) security in Honduras. They are a very functional group, most guests never see them, but they are there.

Coco view has hard core security but as guests we don't really see it.

At CCV, they give us room keys, but very few people ever lock their doors, mostly first-timers. I have left IPads in the dining room, all sorts of shiny stuff on my room's porch. I toss my dive watch, camera and computers in the "wet room" area without a worry or concern. CCV is on it's own island. In the business, with the physical location and the security staff, it is what is known as a "hard target".

If it concerns you, CCV reps meet you at the airport, load you on their shuttle to the resort and return you back the next Saturday. So you never have to leave. But you'll really miss a lot if you do.

I have always gone to Roatan for the diving. Even today, there really isn't all that much you would miss on the island if you never left CCV.

There is no real "island culture", per-se. Most people refer to the faux Jimmy Buffet scene when they say that, so sure- that's all available in a quaint Hooterville kind of style. Other real-deal culture? You can not find as a tourist. On a sad note, I believe that the miniature golf course went bust.

As far as other things Roatan, I would not concern myself all that much with safety. Be a tourist, do the normal tourist stuff. Do not rent any kind of vehicle (for a dozen reasons) and drive off into the woods... or anywhere. Bad idea. Hire a driver for the day and have a good time. Stay out of bars- good advice anywhere. Nothing good happens after midnight in the States, in the case of Roatan I would say 9pm. You have no "tourist immunity".

Coxen Hole visit? I suppose if you must, but in the full light of day. You will not return next time. West End is well patrolled (Policia Touristica), but cops can't be everywhere, and if you are looking for trouble, you'll find it (women, drugs, things that devolve into robberies or mortal threats). The well-known "local clowns" lurk just off the sandy main drag, in the darkness of the jungle growth. Don't be fearful, but do not be ignorant, act stupid, be lost, do illicit business, be drunk, or think that you are in Ohio.

As far as US State Department warnings, understand two key points: 1) The mainland is an absolute madhouse. You're not going there, and other than staying inside the mainland airport if you must- that would be it. 2) Our current State Department politic has had a recent historical and serious hard-on for Honduras since the citizens ran the left-wing president out of town to stay with his pal in Venezuela.

I teach fear management as a skill set in my day job. When I am at CCV, my alert factor is zero. On the rare occasions I do find need to leave "the rock" (as CCV is known to it's permanent residents), it does escalate, but appropriate to the destination. A night out to a restaurant, it is about a seven. On a planned day-trip with one of CCV's drivers, about a four. If I am a passenger in a local buddy's car, even during the daylight, back to six. Take the mini-bus to the Canned Shark Rodeo or AKR for the Friday Dolphin Pester: two.

Of the several very exciting and salacious crimes featured in Cruise Forums and even some US Newspapers- in reference to ugly interactions of Roatan, after the headlines and sensational stuff gets blurted out, most never hear of the follow-up details that led to these very negative outcomes. Three of the most recent "big stories of innocent visitors" involved personal drug dealings, and two recent headline grabbing murders ended up as love triangles gone icky-bad. Speaking ill of the dead always brings derision, but some people are just "risk takers". Who are you? What's the pay-off, the benefit? Your call.

But you're a tourist, you're there to dive.

Many resorts have varying levels of "security". CCV is about as hard a target as it gets for a resort.

this is not a "new" warning, just an unpdated version of an existing warning. honduras has had travel warnings in place for as long as I can remember. probably for more than 20 years...

avoid the mainland, enjoy the diving, do not do anything stupid.

look at all the warnings around, it amazes me how many people look at me in horror and ask "is it safe"?, when i say i go to Mexico

while there mind your own business, don't roam the streets alone at night, stay in your resort, or hire a cab and you'll be just fine

interesting how Canada doesn't have such an elaborate warning, except saying to exercise caution, which is common sense anywhere you go

at the end of the day is your call

CoCoView is completely safe IMHO. They pick you up at the airport, and drive you to the resort where you have to get on a boat to get there. At night there are armed security guards at the dock to make sure there are no overnight intruders.
The Resort is so safe and secure that most people do not even lock their room doors all day. Some people even leave their room keys hanging in the door lock while they are gone diving, etc.

Now if you leave the resort at any time, taking the boat back over to the main island, I would be careful. Daytime not so much a security issue, but there is crime out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom