Fantasy Island Trip Report 2014-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Fantasy Island Trip Report 2014-10.

Inbound:

Departed home at dawn Saturday. Passport was only checked at departure airport. Changed planes in Dallas mid-morning. Completed Customs forms on approach. Arrived Roatan mid-afternoon, 3pm. Several different Resort-hosts were waiting in arrival area displaying Resort-signs and also helped sort checked-luggage. Seated in middle of jet, only took 15 minutes to get all the way through Customs with 6 stations/agents. Finger-printed. Retrieved checked-luggage from carousel. Rolled all luggage to large scanner. Fed luggage into scanner and gave Declarations Form to another agent. No beeping from scanner, so, rolled luggage out to airport lobby. Met by FIBR Host, who then led us outside for curb pickup by large 30 passenger FIBR Bus in good condition with decent A/C. Bus driver loaded luggage onto front seats and did good job avoiding head-on collisions on narrow road with no center-stripe. Host pointed out different landmarks enroute, including standard jest of pointing to posh Governor's Mansion and saying that it was "her" house.

Arrival Day:
Arrived FIBR greeted by bartender and the fabled Welcome-drink/Mai-tai. Signed check-in form, given tri-fold listing meal schedule, and room-key. No bell-hop, no elevator, so, lugged luggage up to Second Floor. Second Floor rooms have tile-floors and 15 foot-high vaulted-ceilings with ceiling-fan. (In contrast, First Floor rooms have Pergo floor and only 8 foot-high flat ceilings.) Rooms had: Mini-fridge with pitcher of drinking-water poured from 5 gallon water-cooler bottle. Small 32 inch flat-screen TV with 100 satellite channels (including the 4 main US Networks broadcast from NY, NY as evidenced by local news); Split A/C which kept the room cool during the day and cold at night. (We tried adjusting the thermostat, but just one-degree warmer made it too warm, so, we didn't mess with the controls any further). The bathroom appeared nice (glass-sliding door for shower, built-in hair-dryer, large oval commode), with hotel towels, shampoo, and soap plentiful, but the running tap/shower water flowed intermittently at best and we only experienced hot-water on Wednesday/Cruise Day [because they're VIPs?]. And yes, their de-salinator is on the fritz and the tap water tasted saltier at times too, which probably wasn't good for their pipes (As evidenced by initial rusty flow when water pressure would finally return after being off for a while.) Seemed there was finite amount of water and/or water-pressure, so, recommend shower at least an hour prior to meals, because the rest of the guests seem to all shower 15 minutes before eating.

Meals:
Buffet Meals were promptly served at 7am, 12:30pm, and 6:30pm. They served fried fish and sautéed chicken at every meal, though, the chicken was fillet'd thin and seasoned to look and taste like fish. The desserts were good too especially the Chocolate/Chocolate cake. The Servers were very attentive and by the second-day, had our preferred drink requests memorized and would have them on our usual table before we were thru the Buffet. Lunch was served in the Beach Pavilion. Breakfast and Dinner were served in the Second Floor Banquet Room with seating out on the open Terrace. After dinner there was always some form of entertainment (folk-dancers, jugglers, and salsa dance-lessons).

Grounds:
Around the grounds the Wild-kingdom abound: Monkeys, Iguanas, Ducks, Roosters, and Capybara. Really could've done without the Zoo though. All the animals seemed to invite more insects too, which weren't as bad as I thought, but yes, there were the man-eating mosquitos and sand-fleas. Just apply DEET if you're going to be hanging out on the beach after dusk. To re-state, the rooms are nice (somewhat updated relative to previous descriptions), cool, and roomy. Just the lack of running water at times took some adaptation.

Dive-Op:
Sunday 8am, Slogged Dive-gear 200 yds. from room to Dive-shop. (Our rooms overlooked the Gazebo cove.) Completed and signed the PADI Disclaimer-Release Form and presented our C-Cards. Then, we set up our gear onto the tank on the boat. After-which, we went into one of the super-cooled class-rooms (the best A/C on the island) and received thorough Dive and Safety-briefing covering the whole week. After the brief, we visited with the other 4 divers until our standard scheduled push-off at 9am. Dive boat was white-washed and clean with two tanks on-board for each of us. The boat was stocked with fresh fruit, plenty of clean beach towels, and large orange water-jug, with spare 5 gallon water-cooler bottles stored under the console. Plus, there's a Marine-head in the forward-hold. We only had 8 divers in our group, so, very roomy. (The boat could accommodate 20 divers. e.g. there were 40 tank slots.) The subsequent days, most showed up just before 9am, enough time to set-up tank/gear. Recommend check pressure-gauge few minutes after you turn on tank to ensure Tank O-ring not leaking. (That's the only area for improvement I had for this top-notch Dive Shop with outstanding service: "Maybe use Dentists' tool to remove O-rings, instead of broad knife-blade-point which gouges metal groove where O-ring seats.")

Dive Schedule:
The 9am departure services two different off-shore dive sites. The 2:30 pm departure provides one off-shore dive site and an optional boat-to-shore 4th dive (if you notify them before you leave the dock so they can throw second tanks on-board for each of you). For the 4th dive, they'll drop you off directly above the local Wreck-dive. After exploring the wreck, you follow an underwater guide-rope to the Airplane-wreck, eventually leading to the Gazebo Exit. At the Gazebo, you'll leave your empty tanks and slog 200 yds. along the beach back to the Dive-shop to stow your gear in the Dive-lockers. Therefore, it's possible to get 4 dives per day for the first 5 days (which included one planned night-dive on Wednesday). Then, on Friday, you only do the two morning dives in-order-to provide the 24 hour surface-interval before your departure flights which are normally just after noon Saturday. My group completed 22 dives. You are also given the option for unlimited shore-dives, but we were tired after the 4th dive. Besides, after the boat-to-shore 4th dive, it's already dusk and the free beer/Well-drinks were calling. Overall, the diving was excellent with good visibility underwater (normally over 100 ft.), warm water temperature (85°F), and vast reefs of live, mostly soft, coral. (One of the DMs mentioned, the length of this reef was only second to Australia's Great Barrier Reef.)

Departure:
Departed FIBR Saturday mid-morning on the 30 passenger bus to the Roatan Airport. If you're thirsty right when you get to the airport, there's a Starbuck's look-alike with glass-case of pastries in the far corner of the lobby and a Tropical Bar with subs/snacks along the opposite wall. Between checking-in our luggage with the Airline, paying the Departure-tax, and processing through Customs (again providing finger-prints), we were all in the secure Departure waiting-area within an hour and ordering sandwiches and beer from the Snack-shop in the back corner. We also purchased several Roatan Dive T-shirts from the Vendor positioned along the wall to the Snack-shop. Then we nursed the beers until our flights were called.

Summary:
Overall, the Dive-trip was a success. The only things I missed were the larger animals. While, we were given the option, we had opted not to sign-up for the single Shark-dive with a Dive-op on the other side of the Island (because last year in the Bahamas, we saw numerous sharks on most every dive.) Also, the DM had promised us Hammer-heads at one of the last dive-sites of the week, but no-joy. In summary: great Dive-op, good viz, warm-temps, Sunny weather (after forecast Tropical-storm never materialized), plentiful wild-life (Sea-horses, Toad-fish, Bat-fish, Morays, Eagle-rays, Takos, Turtles, and of course Lions), and multitudes of live-coral (Anemone, Fire-coral, and Titan Barrels).
Thanks for reading.

FIBR Images 2014:

The photos on the FIBR Websites (Resorts and Vacations) of the FIBR rooms and Dining facilities are accurate/current for 2014, so, I won't repost those.

But, here's a couple from around the grounds:

FIBR Balcony.jpg
View from our room balcony toward the Exit Gazebo (right side of photo) with CCV directly across the channel.

FIBR Gazebo.jpg
The Exit Gazebo. The local Shipwreck is within 100 yds. and it was surprisingly substantial with an adjacent Airplane-wreck too.

FIBR Sunrise.jpg
For some reason (Roosters) I was always up at 5am. So, I'd check out a kayak-oar from the Dive-shop after the last dive of each day, and then go for a Sunrise paddle around the Island, thru the Transit-Channel to the Exit Gazebo, buzz CCV, and then over the local Shipwreck and shallow reef.

Did you dive the Prince Albert & DC-3 nitely???.....Think these 2 are from the P. Albert(lol--ah the beauty of 35 mm:))---circa 1995, nite dive I'm thinking.......Also----my avatar is from the shark dive, Cara a Cara in 2002,or '03 (I think that was the last time I dove it)--good little shark dive.......

IMG07.jpg

IMG03.jpg

Good report. Wonder when they'll have their desalinization & water pressure issues squared away?

There are a number of reputable op.s in Roatan, I notice; what led you to choose Fantasy Island over the others?

Richard.

Good report - thanks!

We're also heading to FIBR (Fantasy Island Resort) just after Christmas (26-Jan2).

Re: Another recent report
A regular dive buddy of mine here at home, chilly waters of Vancouver Island, just got back from Fantasy Island Resort - I believe also November.
She'd gave a similar report. She mentioned when they'd reported "bad viz" which was like 20m (60 ft). :)
She also raved about the dive shop/staff, mentioned the rooms now have fresh-water showers (bit spotty on pressure/hot water?), good food & such.

Re: Rooms - question
My friend also said she recommended rooms in the 200 block. Hers was upstairs, room 205. Said it was close to dive shop/restaurant & had a view.
Question:
Any recommendation/thoughts on room? 2nd floor better/recommended?

I have a bit of a issue with a bad back/leg so don't want to ask for upstairs unless the rooms are nicer/worth it (upgraded/view/other reasons). If not a lot of "tall" stairs, it's no big deal. Also, I believe will leave gear in the dive shop so not hauling it up to room.

Also, I'll probably do at least some shore dives. Mostly though I expect I'll have them drop me off on way back from 3rd, to get in 4th dive of day.

Again - thanks for report. Any other recommendations/hightlights appreciated.

Re: Richard's "reason" (Fantasy vs say CCV) question
Know that wasn't directed at me, but thought I'd offer 2-cents on the topic.
I picked the AI due to price & location. I'd heard nothing but great things about the diving & dive shop. Also read online (SB & elsewhere) bout the new ownership & that things were improving with the resort.
Price was pretty great, imho, $888 diver special - 8 days, 3x boat dives per day (unlimited shore), food+drinks, etc. CCV was more than double, however it was due to only a beach cabin avail (& only 2x of us), offered less dives per day & drinks not incld.

I have some other old dive buddies who've been to Fantasy Island who recommended it - so will report back separately after we try it out.
Doug

Were there many Italians over there?

Re: Rooms - question
My friend also said she recommended rooms in the 200 block. Hers was upstairs, room 205.
Said it was close to dive shop/restaurant & had a view.
Question:
Any recommendation/thoughts on room? 2nd floor better/recommended?

I have a bit of an issue with a bad back/leg so don't want to ask for upstairs unless the rooms are nicer/worth it (upgraded/view/other reasons). If not a lot of "tall" stairs, it's no big deal. Also, I believe will leave gear in the dive shop so not hauling it up to room.

Re: Richard's "reason" (Fantasy vs say CCV) question

The second floor is higher than on other two story buildings.
So yes, the stairs might be a challenge for your bad wheel, there are about 40 steps.
Again, the only differences I saw were the tall vaulted/cathedral ceilings on second floor and pergo floors on first floor.
The pergo did look aesthetically nicer (vice the tired gray tile in the second floor rooms).
Balcony of first floor rooms was above the beach by 5 feet, so the view was still decent
(as long as there wasn't too much shrubbery directly in front).
Keep in mind, breakfast and dinner were served in the banquet room on the second floor,
therefore, you'd have to climb those stairs at least couple times a day anyways.
If you're also counting level steps, the rooms West of the lobby are closer to the dive shop.

The reason we went to FIBR (instead of CCV) was one of my dive buddies organized the whole trip and the FIBR websites and large beach area sold him (he likes to run in the mornings).

Have a great trip!
Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom