Roatan Recommendations -Exposure, Tipping and Vaccinations/preventative meds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubawankenobi

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
So travelling for the first time to Roatan over the holidays and had a couple of questions.

We're staying at an all-inclusive, Fantasy Island Resort, so drinks+cuisine+diving (3x boat dives daily) all included in our package.
When we travel dive Caribbean (Cozumel, Bonaire, Aruba, Dominican Rep so far) we usually stay at all inclusives and aim to tip all of the staff for good service.
Note:
It also seems we've gotten "better" service/attention by staff (scuba, restaurants, bar) who've noticed we tip & appreciate their good service.

Re: Tipping?
Wasn't sure for Roatan what kind of tipping is considered standard/good, as I don't know local econmy on the island and currency conversion effect.
Was thinking - $1 per drink? ($5 for the night/several drinks)
Room - $5 daily (extra at end of stay if good service)
Scuba - $5 per dive (too much/too little? $10-15 daily?) this resort does 3x boat dives daily, so I'll be doing all of those & having them drop me off for 4th reef dive+ swim back.

Rate - we're from Canada but will be bringing USD, which have a higher value than ours

We usually then tip "extra" at end of week to staff who demonstrate really good service.
Don't want to sound like a cheapskate, we're not overly wealthy by N.Amer standards, and want to be fair with staff.

Question 1:
Thoughts on tipping/conversion to local $?

Re: Medical - immunization/preventative?
From quick searches it seems Roatan is on the lower-end risk, but still present with mosquitos, for Dengue & Malaria.
Question 2:
Anyone taken/recommend preventative for Malaria?
Note:
We're bringing mosquito spray, but must be something with my body that makes me a mosquito-magnet! :wink:

Anyy other recommendations/thoughts on Roatan?
We're bringing Imodium, have traveller's medical insurance (+DAN), and sunblock of course. :)

Re: Fun / Must Do/See?
(aside from the cautionary/preventative above...) Any recommendations on any "Must see/do" locations on the island? Dive sites to request?
Fantasy Island shares same reef as CoCo View so assuming we're getting all the same dive sites (+1 extra boat dive daily).
Will do some night shore-diving I expect.

Re: Exposure suit
I don't usually get very cold. Was planning on just diving my 3/2mm shorty ( I know it would be smarter with full-length, but here's [wood-knocking] hoping caution elemenates any knee/leg scrapes ).
Date: will be Dec26 + 8 days.

Any advice/input is really appreciated!
Doug
P.S. Will commit to a full trip report when we get back, similar to one we posted from our last trip to Bonaire. Will be interesting to comparing the diving at each.

Have a great time! We have been to Fantasy Island numerous times, but not recently. You will be assigned to the same boat for the duration of your stay, so you will have the same boat captain/divemaster. Everyone always just tipped them at the end of their stay - it was much easier that way. No need to convert money...they love $ :D

The first couple of times we visited Roatan, I took preventative medication for Malaria, but most people I spoke with did not and I gradually just gave it up. I have visited the island MANY times, and have never had a problem...yet.

I hope you will love the diving on the beautiful walls of Roatan's south side. You are in for quite a treat! Please be sure and give us that trip report when you return...I can't wait to hear all about it.

Question 1:
Thoughts on tipping/conversion to local $?

Re: Medical - immunization/preventative?
From quick searches it seems Roatan is on the lower-end risk, but still present with mosquitos, for Dengue & Malaria.
Question 2:
Anyone taken/recommend preventative for Malaria?
Note:
We're bringing mosquito spray, but must be something with my body that makes me a mosquito-magnet! :wink:

Anyy other recommendations/thoughts on Roatan?
We're bringing Imodium, have traveller's medical insurance (+DAN), and sunblock of course. :)

Re: Fun / Must Do/See?
(aside from the cautionary/preventative above...) Any recommendations on any "Must see/do" locations on the island? Dive sites to request?
Fantasy Island shares same reef as CoCo View so assuming we're getting all the same dive sites (+1 extra boat dive daily).
Will do some night shore-diving I expect.

Re: Exposure suit
I don't usually get very cold. Was planning on just diving my 3/2mm shorty ( I know it would be smarter with full-length, but here's [wood-knocking] hoping caution elemenates any knee/leg scrapes ).
Date: will be Dec26 + 8 days.

Question 1: Your tipping seems to be right in line... I just used $USD and did not convert. No need.
Question 2: I've been to FI 3x and never had immunization or other preventative shots. Never had a problem or heard of a problem. Yes! Do bring mosquito repellent.
Fun/Must Do/See?: Calvin's Crack/Mary's Place ...Don't mix up the names :). Also do a night dive on Prince Albert. Very nice shore dive. Very easy dive with plenty to see on the wreck. Used to be a large moray that lived inside, might still be there. Honduras has some nice wall dives. Great rugged terrain. Look for the small stuff too, there's lots of it.
Exposure Suit: I dove a full 3mm and was fine in Jan and Feb.
Other: Warm water in the rooms was pretty much non-existant. Try to shower in off hrs.

Have a great trip!

Bug spray, YES! Took months for the holes in my legs from the sand fleas to heal up mostly.

As for exposure protection, Last April, waters were 28-29C, and I really started to feel the 0.5C thermocline at 57ft by the ~20th dive hour of the week only wearing a rash guard and swim trunks. I also seem to find BC's mountain lakes and streams warm compared to most .... fwiw.

Lots of jellies at night (on the north side at least). Didn't bother me with mostly skin, but quite a few neoprene clad divers got hit pretty good some nights. (just purge your reg as you go up, they'll be pushed out of the way).

Have fun!

BRad

Currency: USD is all you should need
Exposure suit: I recommend a full length myself (2/3 full is what I use) as the hydroids stings were abundant the last time I was there, so covering up your arms and legs all the way seems like a good idea to me. Didn't really see much for larger Jellies however on the south side.

No guarantees but jellies shouldn't be a problem over the Xmas season. Also no guarantee on weather but water temps are generally consistent regardless. I'm an advocate for full suit but if you've always been comfortable diving a 3mm shorty at other Caribbean destinations, shouldn't have any trouble. I can't speak for your resort but most places only rent dhorties anyway.

The more important aspect is to ensure you are warm before, in between and after dives. If a norther comes down, you'll be colder in the boat than underwater.

Bug juice!! Never fail to apply it. Consider coating lower legs with very oily concentrate. That drowns the sand flies. If you get bites ( guaranteed! !), do whatever you can not to scratch them. Scratching them really scars you up. Be sure to bring along an antihistamine and cortisone cream. Liquid benadryl works fairly well in conjunction with the cream. Not to scare you or anything. :wink:

Thanks everyone for the excellent input/feedback!

Really looking forward to the trip.

Re: Exposure/stings
I've got a long-sleeve (waterproof) sunblock shirt I wear on boat, that I'll probably just keep on u/w to protect my arms. I wear booties as well so with only 1ft+ or so of legs exposed, will take that risk on stings.
Brad - I hear you on the temp. Think up here in Canada we get bit more accustomed to the cold/tolerant of cooler water. I've shocked people on dive trips where others are going in with full 5m & I was in shorts. Figure I'll use the shorty as 4-5 dives a day can tend to get chilly by end of day. Diving this past weekend local the water was 9-10C (48-50F) so Roatan's gonna be a pleasure! :)

Re: supplies/meds
Might apply extra thick/greasy sunblock on the legs to help with sandfleas. I got bit pretty bad on a past trip, think Bonaire?, with scabs on my legs for month+ after.
Besides the Imodium (just in case, Roatan+Colombia travel & food&water) will take ChillyinCanada's advice on the antihistamine and cortisone cream.

Also noted the sites divin'dog, and plan to dive the Prince Albert often. The shop told me they'd drop me off there on way back from 3rd boat dive - so should be able to explore that "house reef" quite a bit (day & night).

Thanks again all - SB rocks!
[ Will post trip report in later January when back home in Canada ]
Doug

No guarantees but jellies shouldn't be a problem over the Xmas season. Also no guarantee on weather but water temps are generally consistent regardless. I'm an advocate for full suit but if you've always been comfortable diving a 3mm shorty at other Caribbean destinations, shouldn't have any trouble. I can't speak for your resort but most places only rent dhorties anyway.

The more important aspect is to ensure you are warm before, in between and after dives. If a norther comes down, you'll be colder in the boat than underwater.

Bug juice!! Never fail to apply it. Consider coating lower legs with very oily concentrate. That drowns the sand flies. If you get bites ( guaranteed! !), do whatever you can not to scratch them. Scratching them really scars you up. Be sure to bring along an antihistamine and cortisone cream. Liquid benadryl works fairly well in conjunction with the cream. Not to scare you or anything. :wink:

cChillyinCanada
Re: oily concentrate
Question:
You think slathering sunblock on legs will do the trick w/sand flies?
Reason I'm asking is I got some *nasty* bites on my legs on last trip to Bonaire. Unfortunately scratched them way too much.
Last days diving were annoying coz my booties were rubbing the raw scratch wounds near ankles. :(

Off to pickup benadryl and cortisone cream.
Cheers!
Doug

---------- Post added December 20th, 2014 at 01:58 PM ----------

Bug spray, YES! Took months for the holes in my legs from the sand fleas to heal up mostly.

As for exposure protection, Last April, waters were 28-29C, and I really started to feel the 0.5C thermocline at 57ft by the ~20th dive hour of the week only wearing a rash guard and swim trunks. I also seem to find BC's mountain lakes and streams warm compared to most .... fwiw.

Lots of jellies at night (on the north side at least). Didn't bother me with mostly skin, but quite a few neoprene clad divers got hit pretty good some nights. (just purge your reg as you go up, they'll be pushed out of the way).

Have fun!

BRad
Thanks again Brad!

Being lazy here, asking this, as I'm sure I could "google it"...but rushing to pack & get ready to head to airport. U/W in Roatan in 6 days - woohoo! :)
Re: jellies
Question:
I'm really keen on using just my shorty (2/3m) & do good w/cold. Are there any particularly nasty jellies/stings?
I'm a head-to-toe drysuit diver most of the year, so really treasure my "wear hardly anything" warm water trips.
To be honest I put up with annoying abrasions, have had a couple of tiny rash/spots where I've barly brushed things (reef/wrecks)... so knock-on-wood, not too worried. :)
Only one trip returned home with a little abrasion that annoyed for a week+. No biggy.

Had Just want to make sure nothing that's gonna be really nasty down there, including jellies. I had a minor sting on a night dive in Bonaire, really bad hit u/w & annoyed on land after, gone by time woke-up... maybe a box jelly glance?
Tolderated jelly MANY jelly stings in CA & worst sting ever had was a local (massive size/sourced) Lion's mane sting.

Should only have about 1' of my legs uncovered, from knee to bop of booties/socks.

Last edited:
DEET is what you want to keep the bugs off of you. Deep Woods Off is what I normally use.

If you hate using DEET, there is a local environmentally friendly product that seems to work too.. I think it's called Cactus Juice, or something like that.. They may or may not sell it at your resort..

The kids that like to hang on the beach and just use sunscreen end their vacation looking like this.

Sandflea_Bites_Roatan1.jpg

Question:
You think slathering sunblock on legs will do the trick w/sand flies?
Reason I'm asking is I got some *nasty* bites on my legs on last trip to Bonaire...

If you want to slather something on your legs, use baby oil. I dove with a DM in Utila who showed me her secret... A generous covering of baby oil ALL over any exposed skin. The oil trapped and killed any sand fleas/noseeums. It is yucky though and she would wash off as soon as we were on the boat. Also made for easy entry into a wetsuit. If you're staying at FI, then there is not too much to worry about. In the past, they would rake the sand daily to get rid of the fleas. Very few sand fleas on the beach but do take precaution.

Re: jellies
Question:
I'm really keen on using just my shorty (2/3m) & do good w/cold. Are there any particularly nasty jellies/stings?

From my experience, there are no jellies that you have to watch out for while boat diving. Only place I ran into jellies was right at the mouth of the exit for the boat channel used by FI. I was snorkeling and they were near the surface. Even then, they were small jellies but I did get a few stings but they did not amount to anything bothersome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom