Roatan, North-East

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarponchik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Am interested in diving there. Any suggestions? Is Camp Bay Resort, for example, any good?

We do not care if they always have plenty of Diet Coke, please focus on quality of diving, reef conditions, stuff like that. Also, I would prefer at least 3 dives a day.

I am hearing really good things about Turquoise Bay Resort. I know they have a top-notch dive staff, and they definitely conduct 3 dives per day. We have only visited the area for one day, and on our two dives the north-east end of the island was deeper/darker/more dramatic than the shallower, sun-lit walls of the south side of the island. It's always good to dive in different areas and compare the experiences.

To dive this Far East/North Side area, your only option would be Camp Bay Resort. I would put it in the category of the last of the real adventures remaining on Roatan.

I do do not mean this in a negative, but their dive operation is very primitive. Small boats, very limited shore infrastructure, best to bring all of your own gear. Likely 3x a day would be pushing it, if not impossible, depending on their volume and weather.

They do not have the wherewithal to easily or quickly transit to the South side if it weathers out, which can be a real historical consideration in this unique geographical position, exposed both North and East. Best bet would be May-Aug.

Looking at their website, it refers to a 2x a day schedule and the guy running the dive op, Jami, was originally the owner operator of the very short lived Tabutne/Divers at Play live aboard. Don't know if much I saw on the Internet is valid or very current. The dive economy is tough in Roatan, certainly even harder on these remote and unknown locations.

If I were younger, I would give it a try. Years ago, I dove the area and recall it as being of interest. I still like the concept of not having Diet Coke, which due to the terrestrial remoteness, I could pretty well guarantee to be the case.

I would, however, bet they have cold Salva Vidas and a great throwback dive adventure experience. Go for it!

Last edited:
They do not have the wherewithal to easily or quickly transit to the South side if it weathers out, which can be a real historical consideration in this unique geographical position, exposed both North and East. Best bet would be May-Aug.

Thank you! Do you mean most other Northern resorts will do this? How important will this particular consideration be if we go end of April/early May?

---------- Post added December 21st, 2014 at 08:50 PM ----------

Thanks! I was considering them also if I give up places further east.

Some Northern resorts will chug through the mangrove cut that runs N/S down East end. I have no idea who has enough available SCUBA tanks and boat space to make that lengthy slow transition a possibility.

No, like I mentioned, those months should present a "lack of weather".

Back
Top Bottom