Are Sand Fleas Still an Issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerlane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Some friends of ours are going to be staying in West Bay in a few weeks and I'm trying to give them some pointers. I don't remember the bugs being bad last time we were there, but it may be that we were just good with the bug repellent. What's the current situation?

Thanks!

I think it depends on the wind. I always go prepared for the critters because they love me. :/

For some yes, at times yes, A simple solution, Tell them to plan on using repellent, if they don't need it it's no big deal and they can donate it to someone or bring it home.
Crisis-averted.jpg

Yep, sand flies on Roatan and no-see-ums on Utila. And they are different bugs. I use and recommend a product called BuggSpray available online. It's made in Minnesota (US) where mosquitos are the size of blue jays so they know their repellent. One of their sprays has a vanilla scent so it is not so bad to use.

Some friends of ours are going to be staying in West Bay in a few weeks and I'm trying to give them some pointers. I don't remember the bugs being bad last time we were there, but it may be that we were just good with the bug repellent. What's the current situation?

Thanks!

Always has been, always will be...

It's really not that big of a deal. Just put on some bug spray and enjoy your vacation!

they've been bad this week

I'm going to get it for our trip. Is there a particular one that you find works best?

The ones with DEET in them.

I'm going to get it for our trip. Is there a particular one that you find works best?
Aren't you going to Utila? Lots of Sand Flies there around the mangrove lagoon - especially at dusk.

We did alright with: Deep Woods Off Even used it as a "fogger" one night when we accidentally left the deck door open. Deet will melt plastics like dive gear.

Some people suggest Skin So Soft also which uses Picardin instead of Deet. Amazon.com: skin-so-soft bug repellent

Back
Top Bottom