Roatan or Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The aged old question? I have been tosing back and forth between Buddy Dive and CCV. My wife likes to be caterted too and dosent like to drag gear evrywhere. I like the option of the over water bungalows in CCV. We have dived a few times in Coz and all over the Carribean. Both of us are skilled divers and just looking to relax and get away. Open to other sudgestions as we live in Atlanta so just about anywhere is a direct flight.

Last edited:
I have never been to Bonaire, so I can't do any comparison by experience. However I have been in the over the water cabanas at CCV and can attest that they are really nice and relaxing. Hammock out on the deck, and fairly private. You won't have to drag gear very far there, just depends on how much diving you do. If she only does the boat dives, without the drop off, then she won't have to barely lift a finger. Big draw to me on CCV is that I don't have to worry about food, vehicles, or finding someone to dive with. I love being able to be able to just dive, eat, dive, eat, dive, then hang out swapping stories in the dining hall, then repeating the next day. You can pretty much do 5-dives a day with little effort, even 6 if your a early riser, just have to watch your saturation rates and profiles a little closer. I love shore diving, which make Kona a big draw for me, but lets face the truth that doing 2-dives a day when you have to drive around and pick up tanks, and find food is not the most relaxing day.

My wife likes to be catered too and doesn't like to drag gear everywhere.

Not that Roatan is a super catered-to type of place, but diving out of CCV means leaving your gear with the dive shop and just hopping on the boats. Bonaire is really designed for quite the opposite: Dragging your gear around and diving independently.

ditto.... CCV is your answer.
Bonaire is not for your wife. No dive op carries your gear, you are expected to do everything yourself. Even the boat dives, you carry your own gear on and off the boat, then have to rinse it yourself and find a place to dry it out between dives. Shore dives you have to carry your tanks and weights as well... it is work.

if you hate dragging gear, consider a liveaboard...belize dancer and t&c explorer are our favourites.

If open to other suggestions...LCBR...stand up, fall off boat...doesn't get any easier than that

I'd go with Roatan(lol---just a little partial though) but would go to the north side of the island ie AKR, or even West End(AKR also has over the water rooms).........

I'd go with Roatan(lol---just a little partial though) but would go to the north side of the island ie AKR, or even West End(AKR also has over the water rooms).........
Why AKR? I've always much preferred the West End of the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom