West End Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan G

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read several older threads and I have learned about the very limited shore diving (insert "same dive" comment here), increased taxes (insert Pub like comment here), and getting through immigration (insert yet another Pub comment). I have also read about sand flies, baby oil and recommended levels of DEET use.

Based on some PMs and threads, we have booked our first 10 dives with Reef Gliders. It has been about 20 years since I have been to Roatan when I was backpacking through a small portion of Central America and got my basic OW there. I will never do that boat ride between the mainland and the island again.

I am looking for dive site recommendations and restaurant recommendations in the West End. Two sites that have been recommended to me are Bear's Den and Texas. Also, what should we expect to pay for transport from the airport to the West End?

Reactions: Doc
Last I heard it was $25 from the airport. That's one of the rates that's fixed so there's no negotiating by either party.

The boat ride may have improved a little since you were last there...:D Roatan Ferry, La Ceiba Ferry | Safeway Maritime

Some places we eat. Some I had bookmarked.

Argentinian Grille is good for steaks/seafood. Nice outdoor dining. Posada Arco Iris - Restaurant

My friends liked Tong's Thai - one of them is sort of a foodie. Tong's Thai Island Cuisine

Rotisserie Chicken is good and reasonably priced. Getting a table is sometimes difficult. Creole's Rotisserie Chicken - Roatan Place

Ooloonthoo for Indian Food - it's considered one of the best on Roatan - maybe the Caribbean. Reservations required. Ooloonthoo Indian Cuisine | Please Call: 504-9936-5223 | Roatan Honduras

I've heard (but not eaten there) good things about the Vintage Pearl in West Bay also - take the water taxi over to Bananarama - it's on their property.

Our local shop owner also suggested the restaurant at Half Moon Bay Resort. I'm reliably certain she wrote this also: Eating In/Out | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

We liked Texas also. And Bucho's Bank nearby. Spooky Channel is another good dive they'll do from the West End. You can also cab over to one of the West Bay operators or go south to Barefoot Cay and dive Mary's Place - the signature Roatan dive. BFC took us over to Cocoview to dive the Prince Albert as a 2nd dive also.

. . .
I've heard (but not eaten there) good things about the Vintage Pearl in West Bay also - take the water taxi over to Bananarama - it's on their property.

. . .

Vintage Pearl was the closest thing to resort fine dining we found in West End/ West Bay. Certainly not inexpensive, but still a good value compared to US prices

Good to know the :search: button is still working on :sblogo: Great OP!

(insert Pub like comment here)

:rofl3:

Vintage Pearl was the closest thing to resort fine dining we found in West End/ West Bay. Certainly not inexpensive, but still a good value compared to US prices

Vintage Pearl is great but I think the Thirsty Turtle gets over looked. Fine dining it may not be but has a great feel and the food is amazing. Last time we were there, they had a whole fried snapper (yellowtail) better than anything on the Vintage Pearl menu.

We depart in one week. :banana:

Any ATMs we should avoid due to known issues? Other thoughts?

The ATMs may be down because of connection/power issues or simply out of cash. I would say they are working 75% of the time.

I use the ATM beside the Mares store in the middle of
West End (more than a dozen times a year, last time was Dec 2014). It's in a safe location, yet offers some privacy and I have not had any hacking issues.

The safest ATM is probably the one in the convenience store at the gas station just outside of West End. There is an armed guard in the store and armed guards at the bank next door. It is a little bit of a walk from town.

There is an ATM at the airport. This should be very safe too but I have heard of one incident where someone suspects their card was skimmed by that machine.

There is an ATM at the roundabout into West End outside Coconut Tree Divers. I have used this ATM once or twice without problems but have heard of some instances of people seeing their funds going missing. Most banks will replace the lost funds once contacted but it is a hassle and takes time.

I always try to avoid using the local ATMs and do my best to bring more then enough cash with me for the entire trip, so I don't have to use them. Doesn't seem to be the general practice of a lot of people, however I trust my banks teller, and I have never had to use an ATM while vacationing out of the country. That falls into your "Other Thoughts?" section. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom