Media Luna Resort and Spa Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David_57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have any experience with the shore dive in front of the Media Luna Resort and Spa, how accessible, depth is it any good? In addition how is the dive shop and Dive operation at this resort?

It's Luna. I fixed your title. We have a Bay Islands sub-forum where this post resides now.

Is there even a shore dive there? Not that this is especially current but it's not on the list. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Honduras, Roatan, Caribbean

There is supposed to be some good diving that far east though also. If they go out there Morat Wall off Barbareta is one of the top wall dives in Central America. It's past the eastern point of Roatan though - a couple of the West End shops go there so I suppose it's possible.

If you've watched the Aqua Adventures video, the sharks, dolphins, wreck and those two vertical "crack" dives are all somewhere else. I think I recognized part of another dive on the north side also - the entry is pretty unique. So they're all boat dives.

Last edited:
Apparently so but now I am getting concerned that may be my information is incorrect.

It sort of looks like a big sandy bay out front but it looks like there's some coral looking areas on either side of it.

For comparison - although it's a poor one due to the distance - the lagoon at Barefoot Cay is only about 16-18' deep all the way out to the fringing reef. Both are on the south side, BFC is near French Harbor. Cocoview has the best shore dive and it's only several feet deep for a long way out also. That's kind of typical Roatan.

I didn't see anything on the resort website that indicated a dive there. Except they probably do the discover dives out in the bay in the sand. Someone on the board has been there fairly recently - maybe Cajun Diva? So you might PM her.

Man that is not promising, I have dove at Fantasy Island a few years ago, but I was told the Media Luna had shore dives so I decided to go there as I want to set up some of my new gear, although I guess I can do that in 18ft of water. Plus I was hoping to get my dive count up, I have booked 10 boat dives so not to bad.

There are marked dive mooring sites in front of and either side of the property, not far offshore.

The resort gets its name (Media Luna, half moon) from the very small, natural safe harborage formed at the tip of the curving peninsula by exposed iron shore. This lagoon is a sandy bottom and was formerly a good dive site in and of itself, but after earthmoving, it has now devolved into just a good site for night diving.

The real trick at MLR is going to be getting access to tanks to use in your own, for shore dives or night dives. I'll defer to recent guests, but I believe the air supply comes and goes with the arrival of the morning dive boat that comes to pick up the very few diver guests that MLR hosts. Their main focus and income is from day spa services for cruise ship visitors.

My personal experience here was from diving at the boat mooring in 35fsw, then making the traverse North towards that crescent cove, then returning South to the break in the wall and the mooring. Been doing it since the 1980's. I did it starting moored at the wall, so the reverse journey is possible.

It is a resort that offers some diving, not dive resort, per-se, but indeed there is diving within the realm of the shore... if you got air.

Now that we're back from our 12 day stay at Media Luna, I can elaborate on this subject for you.

Aqua Adventures is the on-site dive op for Media Luna Resort. They did a GREAT job of making sure all of our needs were met. Tanks are available any time you want them, whether nitrox or air.

We took advantage of the shore diving opportunities several times during our stay, including one night dive. We were so impressed with what it offered...could have been happy just diving there over and over!

I will be working on a trip report with LOTS of photos and video. Just got home late last night and will begin working on it as soon as I get over this nasty cold :depressed:

Reactions: Doc
If you want to see goliath grouper, hammerhead's and/or white tips then Media Luna shore diving is not for you. Just returned from 12 days of diving with Cajun Diva (my better half) and 12 other close friends making a number of shore dives courtesy of the staff at Aqua Adventures. Tanks and equipment are available--- just ask during the afternoon and they will have it there for you---now to the diving, as I said above none of those, but if you want to locate Sea Horse's, Batfish, Banded Coral Shrimp, Peterson Cleaner shrimp, decorator crabs, yellowhead jawfish, etc, etc, etc you will find yourself wanting to burn your tank down dry. Good hunting and let us know how you enjoyed (or not) your stay.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2015 at 09:54 AM ----------

The real trick at MLR is going to be getting access to tanks to use in your own, for shore dives or night dives. I'll defer to recent guests, but I believe the air supply comes and goes with the arrival of the morning dive boat that comes to pick up the very few diver guests that MLR hosts..

Doc: This was very true the first few years the resort was opened, however now that Aqua Adventures is conducting the dive operation things have changed dramatically. Tanks, both air and nitrox (up to 36%!!!!!!) are readily available and we be prepared for you for shore and/or night diving upon request.

ps: you won't believe who was there as boat crew and divemaster --pm Cajun Diva.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom